Behavior I am not sure about....

trailmixcat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I am Trailmixcat and I'm new to this website.

Anyways, I rescued my lovely cat, Zowie, nearly 2 years ago from a shelter. When I brought her home, she fit in great with my other 2 cats, except for one small problem: my older male (neutered) cat, Arrow, stole her food constantly.

He would simply walk up to her while she was eating, and push her out of the way and eat her food.

To prevent this, I began sitting next to her every time she ate, as well as placing her food dish in my bedroom rather than in the dining area with the other cats' dish. Nearly 2 years has passed and I am still doing this. I can't just be in the same room with her; I must be sitting next to her food on the floor or she will not eat. I have tried working with her, to no avail. Leaving food out doesn't help either, as it remains untouched when I return. I've always thought this behavior was a tad odd, but passed it off because I wasn't working full time and enjoyed spending time with her. However, I am now getting a full time job and will not be able to sit with her while she eats. She takes hours to finish her food, and I simply do not have that time to spend sitting on the floor waiting for her to finish up. By the way, she will not eat with anyone else in the room but me.

I love my cat and her quirks, but I think this particular one is becoming a problem. Perhaps she is just a "social eater," but I'd still like others' advice or opinions on what I can do.

She has already been brought to the vet and has a clean bill of health, so everything is fine in that department.

Thank you!

-Trailmixcat

murpy422

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
many cats do this, so it is normal. have you tried putting the dish so she eats looking out not facing the wall?