Behavior Changing ~15mos?

qtpidani

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took a stray female kitten in last Aug. The vet estimated her to be about 5"ish months at the time.

In the last couple days, her temperment is really changing... she doesn't want me to touch her, she doesn't come for love, I can't hold her, etc.

Is this a phase? Could she outgrow it? Or is my little girl becoming a cat that now hates to be held and touched?

I am normally a boy cat mom, but this one snuck into my heart, but she is so sassy lately that I'm being reminded why I stick with boys :(

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If she was 5 or 6 months old, I'd say she was maturing, and maybe going into heat. Though that normally makes them more affectionate, not less. She is spayed though, right?

Is it maybe hot where you live? Is she eating, drinking, using the litter box, playing, sleeping normally? Watch for any signs that she might be unwell, and do make a vet appointment if you think something is off.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And it really could be a phase. In human terms, she's about 17 years old, and growing in independence. We tend to think of cats as being adults at one year, but that just isn't so. While they are near physical adulthood, they are still very much kittens in their mental development until around 1.5-2 years old, which means going through phases.

And if there is a lot of heat where you are, that could certainly be a cause, as well.

If she is eating, drinking, using her "facilities," playing and sleeping normally, just hang in there. HOWEVER...if any of the above change a lot, take her to the vet, just to make sure she isn't feeling ill, and not inclined to be loved on because of that.