Behavior changes after spaying

ashyfulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Thunder and Chippie got fixed 4 days ago and Chippie is the same crazy ADD kitten she has always benn (with a tad bit more jumping onto backs/shoulders than usual)

But Thunder is acting completely different. When we first got her she was the quite kitten. She was the one who'd cuddle with me instead of the others and would play with me more than she would with her siblings. She'd purr nonstop and just be a super cuddly mommy's girl. Once she became a teen she became a huge brat! She'd growl when hugged or cuddled and "attack" (no matter what she would never  hurt me, but other people would get full extent of those claws! she still loves her mommy the most) she stopped cuddling up to me at night and would just sleep under the bed or at the other end than me.

But now that she's been fixed, she's back to that super cuddly and friendly cat! She'll run up to me and cuddle in the living room and purr her little head off. She's all over me in bed and just seems to be a much happier kitten and back to that sweet little kitten we thought we were getting.

My question is, is this going to stay like this or is this a general "oh you saved me from those mean people I'm so glad to be home get this cone off my head!" (even though she was purring her head off at the vet after her surgery too as they told me!)

Either way, I love my little Thunder bratty or not. Just really happy to see this personality back and the only other time we've seen one of our cats personalities change after being fixed was crystal, and she went into hiding for 10 years! We rarely saw her until she just decided to not hide anymore.

Anybody else have experience with this? Was her being a brat really just those raging teen hormones messing with her and now she can focus on being her sweet self again?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd say that 4 days is a little too soon to say it's permanent. . .she's probably still loopy from the meds and all. But, yeah, raging hormones can definitely make a cat act weird, so hopefully that was it! Glad to hear she's not so bratty :clap:.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashyfulz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh when they got home they were so funny on anesthesia! Chippie was walking backwards and Thunder was staring at the dog on the bed like it was a monster! They were too funny.

And even though we bought the extra pain meds to brign home, we haven't given either of them the meds. Those two never got the memo they had surgery!!! They act like nothing happened. They both ate 1 whole can each within 10 minutes of being home (they weren't even supposed to eat for an hour and then only a small meal but my word you'd think they were starved and they would've kept eating too!) and they gave them non-narcotic pain meds at the vet too (unlike the other vet we had Rei fixed at who gave us narcotics for her and OH MAN WAS SHE A HAPPY CAT hahaha!)

Oh one more question!!!

They used internal sutures and surgical glue and Chippie is fine with it but Thunder keeps trying to chew on it so she's been wearing a cone. How many days until I can keep the cone off and not worry about her when chewing/licking a lot at it? We've been giving her daily trial runs without the cone, but she keeps failing them within 5 minutes and getting the cone put back on. Her incision is a lot better put back together than Chippies and looks smaller and more healed than her sister's (and Chippie doesn't even touch her's) but I'm just wondering when it'll be safe to let her be cone free and not worry when she goes cleaning her tummy too much. I'm thinking the usual 10 days?