Behavior change after neutered

mariawashere

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I'm new to having a cat and my cat will be getting 'fixed' this Thursday. She just celebrated her 6 month birthday and I was wondering if this procedure will change her behavior in any way. Like for example will she not be rowdy and crazy like a kitten? Will it calm her down?

cjh27

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi,

she'll still be a 6-month old kitty, sorry
  Rowdy and crazy will not change due to being neutered, you'll have to wait untill she grows up some more!

October

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A big behavior change after neuter/spay is a MYTH.  It's an ugly one, too.  It needs to be stopped.  The only thing that happens with neutering is desexing so they are not able to have babies..  And they will not come into heat.  That's it.  It may "calm them down" in that sense, that they won't have the sex drive hormones driving them to mate.  And it does take a month or so for residual hormones to be flushed from the system, as well.  But they will still be them.  If you have a hyperactive kitty BEFORE puberty, you will after neutering, too.  Age and time slows or calms a kitty down, not desexing.  So do not worry.  Your kitty will still be herself. Personalities are unaffected by neutering.  

It is also a myth that neutering causes animals to become fat and lazy.  People will deny this and swear up and down that's what happened with their furbaby but it's not.  What happened was their baby got a fattening diet and not enough exercise and stimulation.