Beginner's question to raw diet

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Bill,
Where do you find the bone % etc. for raw meaty bones? I have seen info on perfectlyrawsome.com but I like to have some more places to back up the research.
Also, any tips for calculating supplements, especially iodine, Vit, B, and Vit. E. I have used a dozen calculators by now.
Unfortunately, I can't find a nutritionist near me who specializes in cat raw diet. We have a huge number available for dog raw diets.
Check this website, the link leads directly to the page where you can calculate how much iodine is needed per weight: Iodine, raw feeding & feline hyperthyroidism — The Little Carnivore
She has some other interesting pages that could be useful.
Sorry for polluting your thread with the iodine thing!

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much. I guess I have to get into animal nutrition more seriously. I have already spent 3 weeks on this and feel like I am circling the issues without coming to any conclusion.
If you're interested there is this possibility, the course is really complete, and she also provides different tools to calculate:

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Absolutely no, my position is to stay within the NRC recommendations.
However, the NRC also says quite clearly that there have been no observable side-effects of high iodine intakes FOR CATS (for dogs it's quite different).
I can send you sources of course! though just a selection, otherwise it will pollute this thread…

From 2010:
[/URL]
(where it states that "because of the multiple risk factors that have been described for feline hyperthyroidism, it is likely that more than one factor is involved in its pathogenesis. Continuous, lifelong exposure to environmental thyroid disruptor chemicals or goitrogens in food or water, acting together in an additive or synergistic manner, may first lead to euthyroid goiter and then to autonomous adenomatous hyperplasia, thyroid adenoma and hyperthyroidism." and that, curiously, "cats consuming commercial foods without iodine supplementation were more than four times as likely to develop hyperthyroidism compared with cats that ate iodine-supplemented foods." for example). For quite some time, the canned food was the major culprit for hyperthyroidism and it was thought that the BPA of the can linings and/or the soy isoflavones used for this type of food were the major cause.

From 2012:
[/URL]

From 2014:
[/URL]
(a short phrase: A soybean-supplemented and iodine-deficient diet synergistically stimulated the growth of the thyroid gland in rats; however, a further study suggested that this effect was not due to the isoflavones in soybean alone. The inhibition of thyroperoxidase due to isoflavones genistein and daidzein was reversed following the addition of iodine in studies performed in vitro.54,55 These data suggest that a goitrogenic effect of soy is possible when there is a deficiency in dietary iodine.)

A very interesting one from 2021:
[/URL]

From 2022 about iodine fluctuation:
[/URL]

the researchgate page of dr Marc Peterson:
[/URL]
Sincerest thanks for the links. I look forward to delving into these.

Much appreciated!

Bill

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. I am a little bit distracted right now (understatement) as my beautiful boy, Oyster has been battling an acute kidney injury since the beginning of March. We have been in and out of hospital and vet clinics. That is a story that can be told in a book so I will stay on topic here.
Raw feeding is going well. I have to cut back on some bone even though I am following the NRC guidelines. The cat poop tells me that it may be too much too soon. So, we'll cut back for a few days. Meanwhile, I have bought an online food calculator for cats which has been useful even though it does not really "do all the work" for me. It is helpful as a guideline. I have also watched lots of videos by Coline, the creator of The Little Carnivore. She speaks in French but if you click on the subtitles, they are in English. Her blog is excellent too. And, she created two recipes for my two cats which is a service she offers for remumeration, naturally.
If anyone is confused by raw feeding or doesn't want to do all the work, I highly recommend taking a course (which is beyond me right now as I deal with Oyster's kidney disease) at the link posted above by Dakera. Or hire a certified animal nutritionist to do the work for you. I had already figured out the raw diet so getting The Little Carnivore to fine tune it was a huge advantage.She has clients all over the world.
And please excuse me if I don't respond back here for a while....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oyster went to sleep on Easter Sunday. He is the most exceptional cat I ever knew and I cannot be complete without him ever.

Attachments

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Oyster went to sleep on Easter Sunday. He is the most exceptional cat I ever knew and I cannot be complete without him ever.
Oh, no. I’m so very sorry for the loss of your beloved Oyster. Such a wonderful, expressive face with those green eyes. He was loved.

If you feel up to it, you might post about him in Crossing the Bridge. We’d love to know more about him.

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh so so sorry to hear about it…
Hold on tight to his memory, he was lived and cared for, sometimes there isn’t mucho more that we can do unfortunately…