Began As A Loving Kitten, Now Wants Nothing To Do With Us?

asunakiritamnd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We rescued a kitten from a young girl who had her cats get pregnant from a stray and gave the kittens away for free. She was the runt of 6 kittens. Was skin and bone at 8 weeks. Very talkative and cuddly. Bit toes and fingers to try and nurse and love on us. We brought her home and had her live in her room for a solid day with us coming in to visit and care for her. We also have a year and a half old Siamese, who to our complete satisfaction LOVES her sister. It took Asuna a couple of days to warm up to the kitten. No fighting, just slight hisses and running away. NOW Asuna cleans her, plays with her; everything. Its as if they are now mother and daughter. BUT the kitten will not come up to us unless Asuna is not in the room. This 10 week old kitten does not talk anymore, does not play with us anymore. Nada. She is not afraid of us, we can walk up to her and pick her up but she instantly wants down. There are times where she will allow us to hold her but she will not purr anymore. She is known to jump on our laps if Asuna is not in the room and she still will not purr when we pet her. WHAT DO WE DO? I want my loving little cuddle monster back but she has changed into a completely different cat within 2 weeks.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Give her time. That's the only answer. She's 10 weeks old. That means that she is kinda in the "terrible twos" stage in human years. At that age, human kids routinely push their parents away and assert their independence. They outgrow it fairly quickly. Since she was so loving as a younger kitten (and two weeks is a good bit of time in a kitten's life), I'm betting that once she is sure of who she is as an individual, she will gradually again become the loving kitten that you fell so hard for. LOL, of course, she's going to be ricocheting off of the walls for a bit, but she'll get there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asunakiritamnd

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Give her time. That's the only answer. She's 10 weeks old. That means that she is kinda in the "terrible twos" stage in human years. At that age, human kids routinely push their parents away and assert their independence. They outgrow it fairly quickly. Since she was so loving as a younger kitten (and two weeks is a good bit of time in a kitten's life), I'm betting that once she is sure of who she is as an individual, she will gradually again become the loving kitten that you fell so hard for. LOL, of course, she's going to be ricocheting off of the walls for a bit, but she'll get there!
Thank you! I'm glad you responded. I needed the reassurance for my little girl. She's definitely warming up to us more and more. A few purrs here and there but a lot of improvement for her behavior.

mysticmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats and dogs alike can show some very strange behavior, especially when in groups. My neighbor's dog will only allow me to pet her when the owner isn't looking. I think in their little heads they think "mama" will be upset. In your case the kitten clearly thinks the older one is its caretaker, and naturally so. The longer you have her the more things will change.