Befriending of the kitten and the cat. Help?

kaitylin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So we have a new kitten, Cheeko, he is about 8 weeks . For the most part we keep him in our office (we have made it kitten friendly) because he is still so young and gets into a bit of trouble. When we do let him out, our cat Kiki (who will be four this month) doesn't find him quite as adorable as the rest of the family.
Kiki has gotten better, she doesn't automatically hiss and growl, but she's still not a fan. She is interested in him but doesn't want much to do with him. She's never tried to attack him, however he likes to chase her (just wanting to play I'm assuming) and she does not like that at all, and I fear she may strike back one day or this will prevent them from becoming friendly.

Is this all normal? Do you think they'll get along at some point? Is there any way to help them "bond"?

If Kiki continues to feel uncomfortable and threatened around cheeko my parents say we cannot keep him :(

Thanks so much!

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
It's really important to have an introduction period with cats.. It can sound long and involved, but it really does work.  And even if you have already introduced them, you can go back to square one and start again.

Have a read through this and see what I mean:  http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats