Been Taking Maxine Out and About to Other Environments...

maxine2016

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I've been taking my cat to other people's houses, namely my Grandpa's and sister in law. I transfer her in a Kennel Cab, make sure all doors of the house are closed and open the Cab and let her come out on her own will. She does come out pretty quickly, but of course is trepidacious at first. But after about 10 minutes, she warms up and acts her normal self as if she were here at home. Some pics. from the other night at my sister in law's house. The orange cat is about 16 years old, did stare down my cat at first but after about 2 minutes, was over it....

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, you are lucky with Maxine, and the other cat she is meeting at your SiL's place.   I've been trying to get Mouse used to going to my mother's place for if I need to get work done in my apartment (like the window surrounds being painted) where it wouldbe hard for him to be around when work was being done.   I let him come out of his crate on his own but so far I've taken him along twice and both times he's spied the little gap between a set of two stacking single beds in the spare bedroom I take him in to and sneaks straight in there and won't come out.   I stayed a couple of hours the first day, then about 6 hours the second time and the closest he'll get to coming out is sticking his paws and face to the edge of the bed frames so he can lick at a snack I take there with me.  It is wierd with Mouse because he used to go to cat shows and would be totally chilled out and confident there despite all the chaos,, noise, other cats, and strange people handling him but go to my mother's quiet apartment and he hides away. 

What I find most amazing for Maxine is that the other cat at your SiL's seemed OK with her coming in to their 'territory' - did you check out how they reacted while Maxine was still in her carrier or let her out with the resident cat in another room?    It looks like Maxine is a youngster which probably helps, but I guess they are all individual in what they feel safe with.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Aww, good for Maxine, telling those noisy dogs to calm down a bit.  

Maxine looks seriously cute so I hope we hear lots more about her.  

I do plan to try at least once more with taking Mouse along to my mother's place.  I found a Feliway spray I thought I had while clearing away Christmas decorations so I am thinking that might make a difference for him.  I used to use it for longer car jouneys and Mouse does seem to respond positively to it (I know not all cats do).