Beef Liver

tangoking

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey Peeps,

My cat loves Loves LOVES beef liver. He can eat it every day, no problem; but, how much is too much? Do I need to balance out his diet more? He's a healthy kitty--bright eyed with a lustrous coat..

I'm feeding him about 12oz a day--which seems like a lot, but he's an indoor/outdoor cat, so he gets tons of exercise.

He's been on raw his whole life. His favorite used to be chicken, until I introduced him to beef liver a few months ago, and now he can't get enough of the stuff.

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey Peeps,

My cat loves Loves LOVES beef liver. He can eat it every day, no problem; but, how much is too much? Do I need to balance out his diet more? He's a healthy kitty--bright eyed with a lustrous coat..

I'm feeding him about 12oz a day--which seems like a lot, but he's an indoor/outdoor cat, so he gets tons of exercise.

He's been on raw his whole life. His favorite used to be chicken, until I introduced him to beef liver a few months ago, and now he can't get enough of the stuff.
Yes,you totally need to balance his diet - liver (and other secreting organs) should be about 5% of his diet.... 80-85% should be muscle meat, about 10% should be bone..... and 12oz a day is about double of what a regular cat gets all combined :nod:
This thread has a lot of good information on balanced meals and such: Plenty of good links: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/240809/raw-feeding-resource-thread

Last edited:

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You should not feed large amounts of liver and 12 oz is a lot. Liver is high in vitamin A and when vitamin A is consumed in excess of what the body needs the unused is stored in the body and can build up to toxic levels over time. It takes a lot of vitamin A over a long time to reach toxic levels but feeding a lot of liver is exactly how it can happen.

Is the liver all you are feeding him now? If so, that isn't nearly sufficient to meet all his nutritional needs.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Second the above posts. Please refer to the link that Carolina posted !!!!! Good luck and keep us posted :D :wavey: