Bedtime

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
What kind and size bed do you have? Is it any special type (Tempurpedic, SleepNumber, waterbed, etc.)? Do you like it and sleep well on it?

We finally traded our California king motionless waterbed we'd had for about 35 years for a king size SleepNumber. I miss the waterbed's coolness in the summer and warmth in the winter but it was getting just to hard for me to get in and out of.

The SleepNumber is the kind that can fold you into a taco. It's great for getting to cats hiding under it to avoid the cat carrier. It's certainly wide enough, but my 6' tall husband's feet hang off the end. He says it doesn't bother him. One of these days I'm going to give in to the temptation to tickle them as I go by. We didn't get the individual side fold type because it's too hard to put sheets on. The individually adjustable firmness is terrific. He likes soft and I like firm. We really do love it and wouldn't trade for any other.

So, how do you sleep?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
You know, we keep kicking the idea of a Sleep Number bed around and we've gone so far as to look at them, but haven't done anything yet. We would probably need the individual side fold because we don't agree on sleeping positions; right now we have the head of the bed on blocks to help Rick with acid reflux.

We have a very old (and way-too-firm!) queen mattress. We got firm because of my back, but it's too hard to get really comfortable. Rick complains about it and so do I. The frame is a very old Pennsylvania House cannonball frame (our Ms. Pepe used to sit on a cannonball at night to watch tv when she was a kitten).

I'd love to have a king-size bed, but there's really not enough room in the bedroom. Our bedroom is long, but narrow.

Several years ago, we were in Chicago for Rick's 30th anniversary with his company; they sponsor a huge formal dinner/ball-type thing and it's free for employees who are in 5-year increments that year. They also provide the hotel rooms and transportation if you fly. Since I don't fly, they gave Rick the money the airline tickets would have cost and we used that toward gas. Anyway, my point (and I do have one...honest) is that when we got to the hotel room, we flopped down on the bed and I think I actually moaned in ecstasy. We just sank way, way, way down. It was so soft and so wonderful I swear I didn't want to ever leave that bed. The pillows were just exquisite. It was probably one of the best night's sleep I've ever had.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Super king size electric folding (split into two halves) with a layer of memory foam over the sprung interior. It's super comfy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait for SleepNumber to have a sale and then head there immediately. They make several different models. I don't recommend the one with the Tempurpedic top because it negates the sleep firmness and also sleeps very hot. We got a medium pillowtop and it's great. Not only that, but the bed is modular so if you want to change the pillowtop or one side has a problem, all your replace is that part. The beds have now gotten so fancy that you can adjust the temperature of each side. They're not cheap, but they'll outlast a regular mattress by a long shot and if you do need to replace, all you replace is the bad piece.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have three double beds in my house. They are all antique, oak beds, high oak headboards and oak footboards. One set I bought from a neighbor, one was hubby's grandmother's. The one I love was my grandmother's, along with her oak dresser. She picked cotton and paid $35 for the set. My granddaddy's name was written on the back of the headboard. The two pieces were put on the train and sent to them from the nearest town 35 miles away.
The mattress we sleep on is a Bemco, purchased three years ago. It is firm. I was looking for a mattress that could be turned over and they are almost impossible to find.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
right now I don't have a bed I like. I sleep on my couch. Bought a nice couch at Ethan Allen-it's very wide and firm. I don't have any pain from it. The other couch is from some NYC small furniture company and that one is also very comfy to sleep on-it has a cushion that's one length so no line across your back.

My bed came from my dad- full size and he bought it in the 1990s. Jon likes it. It's firm. Gives me back aches..we do flip it but haven't in years-I have slept on my couch since 2009. I love my couch. We were talking about two twins pushed together to make a king bed but he's a restless loud snoring man and I can't deal with that-he shifts every 15 minutes-which wakes me up all night...years we shared a bed and finally I slept on the couch and have since then. I have a ton of pillows and sleep sitting up to help with snoring...I can't sleep in a bed-too flat...I would have to get an adjustable one if I get a real bed.

The goal is to transform the office into a 2nd bedroom and put a huge king bed in there but it has to be the kind that doesn't shake because he's a shaker in his sleep. Or lays diagonally so no room for me. Honeybee sleeps at the foot of the bed or under the covers with him. Pumps slept next to him at the camp but here she won't- Honeybee. so the couch he sleeps on we converted into a full size bed-added 3 hassics and pushed them against and layer tons of blankets=pumps can still sleep with Jon and he has room to stretch out..it works for us..kind of weird I know when people come over..but hey I am working on it..

It may be a sleep number or something else. I don't like foam-too hot. I don't like most pillow tops=too soft. I like a medium firm bed but need my head at an angle...

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I brought a double bed a few months ago. I really don't care for it. It sits up too high and it is not hard enough. The salesman lied to me and I paid way too much for it. I should have shopped around.

Muffy

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a waterbed for 30 years. It is difficult to get out of if I don't approach it the right way. The best method for me is to crawl to the edge and then step down on the floor. I certainly have found myself sitting on the side of the bed trying to stand up. That can be tough! :disappointed:
I really like getting into a warm bed in the winter! The two kitties who sleep with me like it summer and winter.:sleepycat::zzzcat:

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Our waterbed had a padded rail all around so it was an "up and over the side" exit. My husband built the frame and stained and upholstered it to match the furniture. The cats only put a couple of little weepholes in it over all that time. Although we used bubble stop and "burped" it regularly, there were always a few bubbles that the cats would chase like an arctic fox. Listen with head cocked, then a big arcing pounce. They loved the temperature. The doggone sheets are outrageously expensive, though, and hard to find.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We have and old-style queen-sized mattress that desperately needs to be replaced. The only reason we haven't yet is that we would like to upgrade to a king size, but I can't see how we can get it to fit into the room well. Whenever one of us brings up about getting a new mattress it starts the debate all over again.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Even you have to give up a piece of furniture or walk sideways in the bedroom, get the king size. The extra space and comfort are well worth the inconvenience. Imagine having room for both of you and the cats, too. Think about rolling over and not planting an elbow in someone. And plenty of room for your feet!

If it's at all within your budget, I'd highly recommend a Sleep Number adjustable. It's worth every penny and it outlasts most regular mattresses by years. It's also modular so you only replace what's bad, like a worn-out pillowtop. Zip it on and you're good to go again.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We would both probably have to give up our nightstands. We need our lamps. We need an alarm clock. My husband needs a place to put his glasses, etc. We've even checked to see if we could get narrower ones and it still wouldn't work. I'll have to take pics some time.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
We put hanging lamps over each side of our bed. If you have space lengthwise, you could get a bookcase headboard for glasses and alarm clock. If you have a blank wall behind the bed, you might put low shelves above and slightly to the side of it. sort of like hanging nightstands.

Otherwise the glasses and alarm clock could go on the dresser or chest of drawers. That would make sure you got out of bed, too!

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I do understand the night stand. I have a lamp I have to hang on the wall for this reason. I am going to get two twin beds and push them together. I don't think we will get the sleep number but I use a ton of pillows to sit up-I like my bed against the wall. I hate stuff dropping down on the floor plus I like the open window on my side. The hanging shelves would work. That's a good idea. Having room to roll around is a must. He tosses and turns and spins the blankets into a ball where we have to have our own blankets. I sleep on my left side or back and stay that way most of the night. Not him.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
You've got me thinking. I'm wondering if I can fit small lamps on the top of this -

IMG_0518.JPG

I'd also have to do some research on platform beds.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I bet you could! I think most were about 12" deep. I have small lamps I picked up at Walmart for the kid's bedrooms when they were babies. They are now in my living room. They don't take up much space. Target and Lowes have lamps you can mix and match with shades. And there are so many profiles.

I looked at a set very similar to this; but our bedroom is just not quite wide enough to accommodate a bookshelf type headboard. After having a king though; I think I'd knock out a wall to make one fit. :lol:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a queen size with a hutch type headboard. We have a regional chain here called the Original Mattress Factory. It was started by a former executive for Serta. They have factories in the larger cities, we have one here in Columbus. They still make the old fashioned two sided mattresses in three different levels and different levels of softness. I got the Ortho in Ultra Plush and it is one of the best mattresses that I have ever had. He claims that companies started making one sided mattresses so people would need to buy them more often. It is a bit of a pain to flip but to me it is worth it.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
You've got me thinking. I'm wondering if I can fit small lamps on the top of this -

View attachment 196088

I'd also have to do some research on platform beds.
Oh, mercy! That's gorgeous! I wonder if it would be too tall for my short little legs? There's storage everywhere in that thing.

There are some tall, thin lamps that would fit on a small nightstand. I think they're made for buffets or some such. I'm not a lamp person so I may not be describing them well. They look top-heavy to me. I'd bet the fur babies could knock them over easily unless you put some Museum Putty under them.

I think I'd go for the hanging lamps because they'd give more light and it'd be more even. Ours are copper folk art inverted wide cones with fish on them that go remarkably well with our rustic modern furniture. I need LOTS of light, so I have a 300 watt bulb in mine. Robert has about a 150 in his. However, our room is very large, 13' x 21', so it takes lots of light. The hanging lamps mean more space, too.

Keep me posted on what you find and decide on.