Beard

thefan48

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here's perhaps a weird question. I would like to shave my beard, but am wondering if it will stress my cat out, like maybe she won't recognize me, etc. I know from reading online that litter changes, food changes, etc., can stress out a cat. Can the shaving of a beard also produce stress? I don't know a whole lot about cats, other than knowing that I love my little girl very much and I don't want to cause her any stress.

Jim

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think it will make a bit of difference. Your cat knows you by your smell much more so than your face, or anything on it.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww you are so sweet! Your cat (assuming it’s the one in your avatar) looks so so much like my very first cat that I was given when I was 4 and had until I was 20 it brings tears to my eyes, she was the best cat ever.

If I was to guess I would say it might be a little stressful but since you still sound and smell like you it won’t be that bad. Remember for cats the sense of sight is their weakest while their sense of smell is the strongest. That being said, does she try to groom your bread or anything?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

thefan48

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, friends. My cat is the one in my avatar, yes. She is a very sweet little girl. She grooms my beard, yes, usually after I'm out of the shower.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend got a Mohawk and Gohan had to inspect and “map” the new hair landscape like he does with any new object. But he didn’t seem unduly stressed by the change.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you smell the same your cat will be fine ... though my cats did stay away from me for a few days after I permed my hair ;)

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hubby currently has a beard which our 12 year female Starbuck loves to groom. She has been grooming his beard since she was a baby. He has shaved his beard a few times throughout the years. She simply started grooming his chin instead. She did not treat him any differently after he shaved. Starbuck has been in our home since she was 6 weeks old.
danteshuman my cats do that to me to when I get a perm once a year. It makes us smell different. I have noticed they stop staying away from me once my hair has been washed for the first time after the perm.

thefan48

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks again. I really appreciate the replies.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I meant is I think cats go by their sense of smell way more than we think. They can smell as well as a dog. Humans tend to discern things by sight first. I think cats discern things by smell first, sight & sound second. So if you still smell like you, your cat will know you ......

P.S. your cat also knows when you pet other people's cats or dogs ;)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: I agree with the other members, that she probably knows you by your smell and voice, more than appearance. She sounds like a sweetie. Let us know how she reacts, if you do shave off your beard.

BTW, TCS has a New Cats on the Block forum, if you'd like to "formally" introduce yourself and your sweet kitty.:catlove:

thefan48

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I shaved my beard (I have since grown it back) and Candy still recognized me. She is such a sweet little girl.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
I shave all the time, makes no difference. The only thing that might affect them is if you use a really strong aftershave it could send them running. Cats are very sensitive to smell.

My kitty cats love old spice but hate anything axe.