Be careful who you adopt kittens to

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a weird little story.

I have posted on petfinder, craigslist, the paper, pet stores, etc for kittens so that if anyone wants one I can find one for them. Sort of like a kitty matchmaker. I have them vaccinated and adopt them out with a spay/neuter certificate of they are too young, otherwise I alter them first...

But anyways, this guy emailed me yesterday. A Russian guy who according to his email, is a Kent State Physics professor. Nothing against foreigners but in the back of my mind, I keep thinking about all the scammer emails I usually get. He told be he wants a "pretty she-kitten"

So I asked him to tell me more about himself, like I usually do, and for his cat experience and I told him what kittens currently need homes. (A couple orphaned 6 week olds, and a 16 week old)

He emailed me back and said it is actually for his friend in Colorado so he wants to pick the kitten up tonite because he is flying to Colorado tomorrow. Oh and he does not want it to be spayed, doesn't want to breed it, but doesn't want it to be spayed. Red lights go off here and sirens and everything. If he isn't a scammer then he is jsut a really dumb person.

I emailed and told him no, I will not give away a kitten without being spayed to someone who is going to breed it. I explained backyard breeding, and the overpopulation and the ones dying in shelters.

I was thinking, I know that the 6 week olds are not going to be spayed so I told him that they are too young and I can't get them for a week because they still need to be with their mother (Ya, I lied, so sue me)

He asked about the 16 week old and I told him that she is in Cleveland and I couldn't possibly get her until the weekend. That was a true story there.

THEN I get home from work and about an hour later, I hear "knock knock knock" at the door. (My first thought is oh my god it's the landlord telling me I am kicked out because of the cats!) I round the cats into the upstairs bedrooms and bathroom and go down to the door, AND IT IS THE RUSSIAN GUY AT MY DOOR!

Sort of creeped me out there. Just told me he thinks I misunderstood him in the email and explained that he wants the cat to remain "nurtured" I think he meant "unneutered" but I said evrerything I already told him and said sorry I can't help you. And he left.

WOO WHAT A CREEPY THING. So guys, be careful who you give your cats/kittens to. Charge fees, spay and neuter them if possible and charge that for an adoption fee. Remember it can be done super young like 8 weeks or so, so do it! Watch out for the weirdos who want to keep the cats intact!

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would have thought that the weirdest thing would have been him showing up on your doorstep..

werent you scared?!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by touro1979

How did he find out where you lived?
Umm-yeah, how DID he find out? Man I would of been sooo creeped out!! And he doesnt sound like he, or his friend need a cat!

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you didnt tell him the only thing I can think of is reverse phone look up. Your better never giving your home phone number or adress, just email and ask for their phone number and call from a pay phone.(to avoid caller ID)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figure the only way he could have found me is by searching my name on the internet. I didn't tell him where I lived and even if I told him my phone numebr, it is my cell, which doesn't work on reverse lookup I don't think. I would never give my home phone number.

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I figure the only way he could have found me is by searching my name on the internet. I didn't tell him where I lived and even if I told him my phone numebr, it is my cell, which doesn't work on reverse lookup I don't think. I would never give my home phone number.
Yea if you gave him your full name it would be possible to track you down. I am curious as to why you felt it necessary to give your full name? Never give more then you have too.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my email address has my full name in it when I email someone. Maybe I should look into changing that...

shrekfx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
even without the full name, it is sometimes possible to find out where someone lives by just the email address.

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Well, my email address has my full name in it when I email someone. Maybe I should look into changing that...
Yea, that might be a good idea. My school Email is the same way so I went to yahoo and got a free email account that doesnt have my name attached to it. You got to be careful, there are a lot of nuts out there. That is really creepy, I cant beleive the guy had the nerve to show up.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know! He seemed almost desperate to get a kitten from me tonite!

I mean, he tried telling me that there are now unspayed cats in Colorado and it is a law to get them fixed there. I said ohh I wish it was a law!

godiva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you still have his name? Look him up! Go to the Kent State Univ. Physics department webpage and see if recognize him there on the faculty/staff page.

It would at least tell you if was telling a part-truth.

This is one of those cases that's so weird that I suspect he might just be telling mostly the truth. You know?

Or he's a serial killer.

JK. He would have gotten you by now if that is the case.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would've been so scared. For some reason I always feel so helpless & small sometimes... not small in size, but small compared to the rest of the world. I'm a locker, I lock everything... cars, doors, windows...everything. My husband yells at me when he comes home from work and has to dig through his pockets for the keys cause I lock myself in when I'm inside. He's like "no ones gonna steal you!" I'm like "uhuh!!" he says quit watching Lifetime!
Then he makes jokes about how the kidnappers would be trying to return my butt within the hour, and how he'd have a no return policy... not funny guys!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

I know! He seemed almost desperate to get a kitten from me tonite!

I mean, he tried telling me that there are now unspayed cats in Colorado and it is a law to get them fixed there. I said ohh I wish it was a law!
I live in Colorado, and he's full of it (unfortunately). There are ALWAYS unfixed cats in every state - otherwise Colorado would be the only state without an overpopulation problem if there were no unspayed cats here.
I wish that were the case, but it's not. And no, there is no law that requires them to be castrated - I don't even think the publicly run shelters have to spay/neuter before they're adopted.

This guy sounds like a lunatic! How scary!!!

P.S. Definitely sign up for a Hotmail, Yahoo, or Gmail account that does NOT include your full name. If you need invites to Gmail, just let us know - I've got tons of them too.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow Jen! that is some scary stuff there.... glad everything everything wrkd out and that you always put the kitties' welfare first

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just read this thread, it is creepy. And I would keep a lookout for this guy in the future, now that he knows where you live.

I absolutely believe in dropping good cash on kittens and cats, and having them spayed/neutered ahead of the game.

cat_lover_330

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to change my email too, b/c my email had my name in it, but there was also junk emails continually piling up and stuff...that is DEFINITELY CREEPY!!!