Battling The Fever Of Unknown Origin (long Post, But Pictures! Yay!)

mojomom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been searching the forums and reading experiences regarding fevers of unknown origin. FIP comes up a lot, and it's been a scary read. I'm hoping someone has had a situation similar to this (warning: this is long. But I've included pictures!)

This post is about Mojo, but the story begins with Ernie.

(Mojo)

(Ernie)

On February 11, our only indoor-outdoor cat, Ernie, disappeared. That is a long story in itself, but to shorten it, on February 19 we find out what happened eight days prior: the neighbors' boxers punched through their fence and attacked him. Another neighbor brought the dogs back to them. The dogs got out again and attacked him again. The dogs' owners left Ernie for dead on a driveway. They knew he was our cat. On February 23 a kind neighbor searched for and found Ernie's body in his crawl space. The body didn't smell yet. We were traumatized, but so grateful to lay him to rest.

I share all this because Ernie was bonded with our Mojo. They were best buddies since 2013 when they were both 2 years old. This year Mojo suddenly found himself with no one to play with. He'd sit by the front door and just wait, but Ernie never showed up.

(Mojo and Ernie digging through the trash at 6am)

So we tried adopting a friend for Mojo, but this cat, from a foster home, was not the right fit for our family. We brought him back to his foster momma who has had him for two years and picked up Benson, a five-month-old tabby kitten, from the same foster home on March 3. Benson and Mojo became instant friends. (This is not challenging, since Mojo loves everyone he meets).

On March 9, Mojo stopped eating and started hiding.

On March 10 he started vomiting foam, gagging every few minutes, and hiding.

On March 12 he went to the Emergency Room (it took us that long to get him in a carrier). He got fluids, a blood panel, xrays, and an ultrasound. No diagnosis, but his creatinine was elevated, as were his globulins. They gave us antibiotics our regular vet was reluctant to try. On March 15 we brought him home ($3,500 poorer)! During this time, Benson also went to the vet for a mild upper respiratory infection.

On March 16 Mojo was back to his old self, wrestling with Benson, eating well. He went back to eating his Rad Cat even though he was prescribed a renal diet because he wouldn't eat their icky renal food!

(Mojo and Benson, all tuckered out)

On March 20, Benson went back to the vet because his URI wasn't better. He got medications and I pilled him twice a day for a week. His goopy eyes cleared up in five days, and his sneezing eventually slowed, other symptoms disappeared.

On March 26 Mojo falls ill again. He relapsed, maybe? He stopped eating and started hiding in strange, remote places. This cat is not a hider. He is typically bouncing all over his people, and is my shadow all day long. That day, his vet gave him fluids, put him in the oxygen tank for irregular breathing, brought down his 105 fever, gave him an injectable antibiotic, and an appetite stimulant. We find out his Rad Cat was recalled. Still unsure if this is even related.

The appetite stimulant doesn't work. He won't eat or drink. On Thursday, March 29 and Saturday, March 31 we give him subcutaneous fluids. We begin syringe feeding him slurries of pate + water because he will not eat.

April 1 our princess, Olivia, stops eating.

(Olivia, Princess-of-All-the-World)

April 2 Mojo goes back to the ER. They decide he might have a muscular problem with his right back leg because he doesn't like when they try to extend it. They want to keep him two nights. They estimate $2000 for treatment. He has also lost nearly 2 pounds. We take him home with pain meds and a new antibiotic to try instead. They can't run an infectious disease panel because of the injectible antibiotic he was given prior. I am now giving Mojo antibiotics and painkillers twice daily.

April 3 Olivia goes to the vet. She has a 105.7 fever. She is given something to bring it down, blood work is sent to infectious disease panel, and she gets an injectible antibiotic and an appetite stimulant. When she comes home, she eats like a hoover vacuum! And MOJO EATS ON HIS OWN FOR THE FIRST TIME IN AGES. Oh my goodness. He ate!!! This is the point I went from feeling like I was watching him slowly die to thinking there might be some hope.

Our vet becomes concerned that Olivia has what Mojo has, and suggests there is a "missing link" we aren't seeing. Both Mojo and Olivia are now under quarantine together.

What I'm wondering is...

I originally thought this was poisoning from the recalled Rad Cat. But it doesn't seem that way. The vet originally thought so, too, but has leaned away from that idea.

Could this be something the new kitty, Benson, brought home? Could he have given them FIP? Could the first foster-kitty we returned have brought something? Is there something I'm not thinking of?

The vet gave more credit to the idea that Ernie may have brought something home since he was an indoor-outdoor cat. He was neutered at 2 years old and was a definite roamer who got into all sorts of cat fights. Could that be possible?

Benson was cleared by the vet other than his upper respiratory infection. Is it likely that a URI would manifest in such a way in both my older cats? That seems unlikely, but maybe someone has experience with this...

I apologize that my thoughts are all over the place on this. Does anyone have any idea what this "missing link" could be? Or am I looking for a connection where there is none?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mojomom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay. They are still eating on their own. In 10 minutes Mojo gets another 125ml of SQ fluids.

I may be looking at my cats under a microscope and worrying about every little thing, but now I'm noticing that Benson starts panting after barely any play (trotting from one end of the room to the other about four times). Of course Googling is scary here, too. I worry that in adopting him we've brought something into the house :(

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry for everything you have been going through. There are just too many factors to really hazard a guess and sometimes all we can do is support our cats medically while their systems fight the illness.

Not cats, but my family had two rabbits who suddenly got ill. The rabbits were outdoor rabbits with free range of the yard during the day and caged at night. One morning my Dad went to let them out and both rabbits were just twitching on their sides. We rushed them to the vet, they were on IVs under vet supervision for a week, came home and started getting lumps. They had bot flies that had burrowed in when they were less mobile. Back to the vet, treatment and indoors for continued care until the infestation was cleared up. Two weeks later, they went back outside, the next morning they were both laid out this time foaming at the mouth, another week in the vets office. When they came out that second time the female had a permanent head tilt and couldn't walk in a straight line. We kept them indoors until they were moving around better to prevent a re-infestation of bot flies. We completely rebuilt their outdoor hutch and moved them to a smaller area where they wouldn't have as many items to potentially bump into so the female would be able to get around. They lived in their new area for five years until the female passed away, the male lived another four years after that (they were already five when everything started, so nice long bunny lives). The point of this long drawn out story is I feel your pain of not knowing and the little triumphs and big setbacks. We never did figure out what happened. Our yard is pesticide free, no other rabbits came into the yard, they never traveled outside our yard. Best guess from our vet was an infected rodent peed on something in their hutch during the day and the rabbits nibbled on the wood or ate the hay or something so it got in their system. You are not alone and your anxiousness, worry and second guessing is completely normal given the situation.

I am so glad Mojo is eating now and hopefully he continues to improve. :vibes:

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too am sorry you going through all this. I do not have any experience with what you are going through. The only suggestion I can think of is to post the lab results for your babies. Perhaps someone here will pick-up on something that you could ask your vet about from looking at the numbers.

mojomom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your responses, Kieka and catlover! The FUO panel should be back tomorrow so we will have a better idea then.

Kieka, thank you for sharing your story about your bunnies. It is good to think that just because I don't have a diagnosis doesn't mean there is no hope for a permanent recovery!

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Boy, you've been through a lot. You were right to start the story with poor Ernie, because this sets "the stage" for your state. Not that without this trauma the other illnesses would be any less stressful, but it adds a dimension I can well relate.
(Our sweetest darling Mr. Monk vanished on the last day of the last year. I'm pretty sure the neighbors' dogs got him, and they are the sort of neighbors who would not tell us. So we're still looking for him, regardless.
We adopted a new cat just because we can and she needed it badly. She had so many health problems I won't list them here, this is your thread. I continue to try to make her better, with a step-and-a-half forward and one step back. But I am also aware that my grieving traumatized state may make this process harder on me. One of our older cats now has an eye infection (being treated) and it does feel like our previously tranquil and balanced home got side-swapped.)

So I really relate.

About all the symptoms, I don't know if making sense of the sequence is the best way to tackle it. Sometimes you never know. What you are doing so very right is to plow on and work simultaneously to get everyone better. I'm rooting for all your beautiful guys.

Yes, FIP is possible, and practically all cats who have been in multi-cat rescues and shelters have exposure to the corona virus. But very few develop this dreadful consequence. Have you raised it with the vet? I know it's scary, but from experience I can tell you that bringing it up will feel better than thinking it and not brining it up.

But there are other viruses, and tests don't always show the culprit. Quarantines are a good practice, even if no fun.

Praying that Mojo keeps his mojo and that health is restored to all. Let us know what the tests say even if they don't reveal anything. You have a community of cat people rooting for you now.

mojomom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OH monk’s mom I’m so sorry for your experience. I had a longer reply... but I am now en route to the Emergencies with Benson who hs started vomiting blood. I think my vet was right; there is something we are missing here.