Batmonkey's first dog

tanderson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, i recently acquired an 8lb chihuahua/pomeranian mix, Zoubi; she is about 2, GREAT with cats. In fact, my cat Rose (on the small side at 8lbs too) tolerates her excellently and Rose has LOATHED ALL HE WHO IS NOT HUMAN. Lol! Seriously, though, amazing little cat-friendly dog. Period.

Now the problem arose when i strayed at my bf's house once i got the dog (where i go, she goes) his loveable, peachy-colored tabby, Batmonkey has started peeing on the bath mat at 3:00AM (he wails, which wakes us up, we go in the bathroom and he's peeing). THREE times now. The dog was asleep at the foot of the bed with us, which didn't really impose on Batmonkey's sleeping habits, because he likes to lay up by our heads or chests.

My bf also has a hand-me-down cat named Couzy, who has lost all of his indoor privileges because he JUST. WON"T. STop. peeing on everything. One time we were walking to the store (Downtown PHX) and Couzy followed us - that's the cool part about Couzy, he'll walk with you indefinitely. And a random homeless girl shouts at us, "Hey, is that YOUR cat?! - I hate that cat, he pees on all my clothes!!!", YEP.

Back to Batmonkey; my bf has had him since he was a kitten and I love him too and really couldn't bare the idea of him being an outdoor-only cat because i brought a dog that is easily 10lbs smaller than him into the picture.

Help!

Attached is a picture of Batmonkey being blissful before Zoubi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tanderson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I'm hoping that this is something Batmonkey will overcome, but I don't know what to do.

The dog basically either wags her tail at him or avoids him politely, she came from a foster home with 6 cats and gets a good read on their interest before engaging them. 

Batmonkey acted super frightened at first, but less now that he's realized the dog isn't a threat. Now he just hisses at her if she walks within 2 feet of him.

I think he's is being territorial, but we put his cat tree in the bedroom, so he A) has a dog-free getaway and B) he will sleep near us, as we miss his nighttime 

cuddles. 

How do you get a cat to stop peeing anywhere but the litter-box?

Based on the dog, I think they'll be friends, based on the cat, I'm worried he's miserable. Oh, also, I don' stay there very often now, but can't leave my dog home overnight.

chloe92us

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The fact that he's "wailing" before he pees on the rug would have me straight to the vet. Like ASAP.

tanderson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, yikes :( he does happen to be a very vocal guy in general.
Thank you. We'll take him.

tanderson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fact that he's "wailing" before he pees on the rug would have me straight to the vet. Like ASAP.
I responded with yikes, before I really thought about it, but why would he need to go to the vet??? He's an extremely talkative cat and it's definitely like a, "get that dog out of my room!!!!" Sort of call.

chloe92us

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whenever a cat starts peeing outside the box, when usually he doesn't, especially when accompanied by yowling while peeing (even if he is typically vocal, does he usually yowl when he pees?), should be looked at medically first to rule out infection.

Last edited: