Bathtub Is Litter Box!

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was trying to teach my two five month old cats, a brother and sister, to use the toilet. They prefer the tub.

I first put their litter box in the bathtub next to the toilet. This is our guest bathroom. After two months like that I introduced the device that sits on the toilet to the tub in place of their litter box. No problem, they used that as a litter box. But over many weeks, I gradually moved the device nearer the toilet and then put the toilet training device on the toilet seat. At first they reliably used the toilet device. Litter changed daily. Gradually they stopped using the toilet device and started using the tub instead. They pee at the drain and poo at the far end. I decided I liked this a whole lot better than a litter box.

Now, well over six months later, both cats are ultra reliable, never a mistake. We pick up the poo with toilet paper and spritz a little disinfectant on the spot and rinse, and we rinse at the drain area and presto, all is clean and odorless. No litter to clean up and dispose of.

Have we ruined out cats??

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I think if you gave your cats more litterboxes, they'll use them. The bathtub is far from ideal... they want to dig, pee/poo and cover. Many cats won't use a litterbox for both. I found that out many years ago when my boy would poo in the box and wee in the shower bay, but immediately changed when I introduced a new box.
With multiple cat households the general rule is one for each cat plus one.

I think it's amazing that they do use shower bays, bathtubs and sinks.. it's almost (but not actually, as that would be anthropomorphising :lol:) that they know it's easier for us to clean.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The tub is certainly easier for me!

They both scratch like mad before and after. So that instinct is much in evidence. They love watching when I take the shower hose spray to clean up after them. The sound of the spray fascinates them and the sound of water going down the drain is equally fascinating. They'll come running to watch me.

I am almost 80 and suffer with chronic pain so it is MUCH MUCH easier for me to deal with occasional tub cleaning rather than the nearly constant litter box mess and disposal. I didn't start out with the tub in mind. In fact it never occurred to me, it just happened by the cats choice. But the reality is the convenience and cleanliness of the tub has spoiled me such that I would hate to go back to a litter box. Plus, my house really has no good place for even one litter box, let alone three! But that said, I do feel guilty that I might make it difficult for them to adjust to a different home some day. I keep thinking I should put a litter box down from time to time for them so they remember. What keeps me from doing that is the fear that they won’t want to go back to using the tub, and might start making mistakes. So I don’t risk it.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm thinking if they seem happy maybe you can get away with this, especially if constantly cleaning and changing litterboxes creates a health issue. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they're ok with it. You are going to have to be very careful about hygiene, though.

Others may disagree with this, but I understand what it's like to have chronic pain.

Cats are remarkable when it comes to learning about litterboxes in my opinion. Since they've used them in the past, in the hopefully non-event that they need rehoming, I imagine they will go back to what they know.

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the supportive response. I do feel some concern about it or I wouldn’t have mentioned it. I do keep a close eye on them and they display no concerns or discomfort that I can detect.
I have to add that they are absolutely wonderful cats. Without flaw in my opinion and I love them so much!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mind if mine did that. A bath is shiny and easy clean with a handy plughole nearby.

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mind if mine did that. A bath is shiny and easy clean with a handy plughole nearby.
Glad to hear an approving comment. I do avoid mentioning this habit of my cats for fear of grossing some people out. But it seems so much cleaner rhan a litter box and my husband and I are meticulous with our antiseptic spray.

If we had regular guests who wanted to use the shower, I think that might make me uncomfortable, but luckily we don’t.

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
It's difficult to gross people out on this site.. cat toileting is one of our favourite conversations. :lol:

Echolane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here it is almost four years later and I thought I would update this thread. I’m pleased to report that Timo and Gemini continue to use the tub. There has not been one mistake in all this time. Not one. I am very happy without cat litter to deal with so all seems fine.

More recently I’ve found out that my two cats will have no problem readapting to a litter box! A feral cat has sort of joined the family. Timo and Gemi are exclusively indoor cats, but two years ago a feral cat had kittens nearby and after she and the father of the kittens were trapped and neutered and the kittens adopted, mama cat picked me to be her person (yes, I mean just what I said). It’s a long story, but the short version is that she has gradually allowed me to tame her and we have a very special relationship. I’m in love with her as she seems to be with me. Unfortunately, I was unable to turn her into an indoor cat, so my husband and I built a catio on the deck for the feral cat to use. She comes in at night and we let her out very early the next day. I let Timo and Gemi use the catio during the day and if I forget to take the little litter box out while they are out, they will use it. It hasn’t changed their indoor tub habits at all, thank goodness. I feel lucky to have such adaptable cats!