Bathroom Renovation

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all,
Monday morning, the crew is scheduled to come do a total renovation o one of my bathrooms. They may even need to pull up the floor.
If it is considered safe from the dust, I would keep my two cats in locked room with the vents closed and towel under the door.
Is it safe?
If it is not considered safe, I will board them at the vet. The reason this is not my first option is because - well, they're cats. You know how cats do at the vet. One cat in particular is afraid of most people.
Thank you in advance for your input.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unless your cats have breathing or lung problems, they should be fine with this arrangement. :) I've done similar.
How long is the project going to last?
Hi, thank you for replying so quickly! They think maybe 3 days. I think demo day is only gonna last one day though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree, it should be fine. I wouldn't be inclined to keep the vents closed all the time though. If they are skittish at all, you could try playing some soothing music to help drown out some of the renovation noises. And make sure they have some boxes or other type structures to hide in if they want to.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, it should be fine. I wouldn't be inclined to keep the vents closed all the time though. If they are skittish at all, you could try playing some soothing music to help drown out some of the renovation noises. And make sure they have some boxes or other type structures to hide in if they want to.
Awesome, thanks for the great advice, I will do all of them. I am sure I can open the vents when they leave for the day.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the above members about keeping your cats at home in a safe room and not boarding them at the vet. That would be more stressful for them. And if you can close off the bathroom when the workers leave then the cats can be let out at night which would also help. I would be more worried about the noise, i.e. demolition. Can you put them in a room that is not near the bathroom they will be renovating? Perhaps using a Feliway diffuser would be helpful too.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above members about keeping your cats at home in a safe room and not boarding them at the vet. That would be more stressful for them. And if you can close off the bathroom when the workers leave then the cats can be let out at night which would also help. I would be more worried about the noise, i.e. demolition. Can you put them in a room that is not near the bathroom they will be renovating? Perhaps using a Feliway diffuser would be helpful too.
Hi, thank you for replying. So many good ideas here; I knew there would be!
I need to keep the master bedroom open so that the workers can go that bathroom, so we've got two other rooms to choose from. One is my office, and I will be in there all day, working (I am a freelancer). The other is across the hall, so it's a better choice for the sound, but I won't be in it.
These cats could hardly be any different from each other. Sammy will be scared no matter where he is. Buddy will want to go help them work, but of course I can't let him, ha ha.
Good idea about letting them out of the room at night. I will do that.
I also think I will go get a feliway.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you! My brother and sisters all pitched in to renovate it to be more user friendly for my 90 year old mother who lives here.
That's awesome! I bet your Mom is very happy :)
I hope the renovations go well and everything is back to working order in no time!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All good advice here. BTW how old is the bathroom?
The shower and tiles are probably 40 years old. The bathroom was painted about 4 years ago and we had a new paint job done. I liked the retro look of the bathroom, but she's getting new amenities that will help her, so I am not complaining at all.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's awesome! I bet your Mom is very happy :)
I hope the renovations go well and everything is back to working order in no time!
Thank you very much! Yes, she's really looking forward to it. They estimated about a week and a half, but the demo will only take a day, so that's good!

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you very much! Yes, she's really looking forward to it. They estimated about a week and a half, but the demo will only take a day, so that's good!
~ A bathroom with a safe walk-in shower with seat , non-slip flooring and property installed stainless grab bars can extend the life of older folks. A high-rise toilet is also more comfortable . 😚🚿

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
~ A bathroom with a safe walk-in shower with seat , non-slip flooring and property installed stainless grab bars can extend the life of older folks. A high-rise toilet is also more comfortable . 😚🚿
Yep, those are the things they're putting in there for her. I am excited for her.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today was the first demo date. Hardly any dust at all. But so much noise.
Buddy didn't mind.
But Sandy. Oh my. I had the window open and he was almost able to push the screen out. If I hedn't been in the room with them, he would have.

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So sorry Sandy had a bad day. I need to put a walk-in shower in my bathroom, and the trauma for my cats is one reason I keep putting it off.
Thank you.
Gosh, I understand that sentiment! But you need to take care of you too. they'll bounce back from it and you'll have a nice soothing shower

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Today was the first demo date. Hardly any dust at all. But so much noise.
Buddy didn't mind.
But Sandy. Oh my. I had the window open and he was almost able to push the screen out. If I hedn't been in the room with them, he would have.
Do you have a fan or a white noise machine in the room with them to help drown out the sounds? Make sure Sandy has plenty of hiding places (boxes work well, I lay them on their side and point the open end towards a corner so it's extra "safe".) I hope today is better and the project is done ASAP!

babs' slave

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a fan or a white noise machine in the room with them to help drown out the sounds? Make sure Sandy has plenty of hiding places (boxes work well, I lay them on their side and point the open end towards a corner so it's extra "safe".) I hope today is better and the project is done ASAP!
Hi, thanks for your response I read your message on the day you wrote it and meant to reply, but forgot. I am so sorry. I implemented your suggestions. Sandy had plenty of good hiding places (so good I couldn't find some of them). The white noise machine wasn't loud enough during some of the renovation so we had to just suffer through that. But the loud parts are through now and we'rehappy as ever so I guess we didn't suffer too much ha ha.