Bathing

zohdee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What is the best to bathe a kitten? My one kitten, Baylen, is long haired and she always gets goop in her tail. When I say goop, I mean she will hop on my daughter's art desk while she is doing a project and end up with glue on her tail.

I gave her a bath with baby shampoo but she hated me for days after.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Perhaps you could shut the cat in another room, away from art projects.

Long hair cats need to be free of tangles before bathing, and blow dried after.

I have shorthairs but to bath them I use the laundry sink and a shower hose. I don't put water in the sink, just use the hose.

Wet cats then shampoo, rinse rinse rinse, then a container of water with vinegar added poured over the cat and rinse again.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree - keep the cat away from projects where the cat could get paint, glue or other stuff on the coat (could be toxic). Longhairs have to be combed out before you get them wet.

BTW your cat is gorgeous! Very nice silver.

cat's_pyjamas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I got a short haired cat called Jasmine who actually enjoys baths if I put her on my lap while washing her, tho she's full grown. Of course, that gets me wet from head to toe, but at least it keeps her happy.

Here's how I do it,
1. I fill a tub with warm water and I get a large-sized cup to use to dip into the water and pour gently onto her.
2. I then pour the water onto her back slowly with the cup just a little bit above her fur, so as it doesn't hit her hard and it doesn't make any noise.
3.While I do that, I rub the water into her fur while talking to her in what I hope to be a soothing voice. I mean, I dunno if my voice can be soothing, but it seemed to work. >.>
4.After she is wet all over, I put some soap onto my hand or on her back and rub it into the fur on her body and tail.
5.Then I pour some water onto her back again in the same way as before until all the soap is gone.
--Steps I take if her face is also dirty--
6. I put a little bit of soap onto a wet cloth and rub her face with it
7. Then I take another cloth with only water in it and rub all the soap out of the fur on her face.

^Yup, all that with her on my lap.

I usually wash her with soap 3 times over, because she is a VERY dirty cat and often just flops into muddy puddles.

Of course since your cat is long haired you must, as said in the posts above, comb her before and after.

Also, like I said before, that's just how I do it, and Jasmine is very, very forgiving and she really puts up with me a lot. (Even tho she scratches me to smithereens if I try to wash her in a tub and not on my lap.) If you have a more aggressive cat it'd probably be best to do it another way, or with a lot of protective clothing at least.

Though... It's hard to imagine such a beautiful cat hurting anything. She like such a sweetie! I just love the light brown around her nose!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use diluted Dawn dish soap in a bind. I use this shampoo: http://www.nationalpetpharmacy.com/p...&zmap=11046408
Also have used this for years before
http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm...ampoo_12_ounce
It works better in this house to get one that works for both cats and dogs.
I give my cat a bath about once a week, this is when she needs it, I also clean her ears and clip nails at that time, she is great with all of it. Watch out for the drain, kitty toes covered with soap can slip in. I have a Sphynx, so their care is a little different, maybe even considered high maintenance by some.
You will have to really keep up with the brushing on your cat to keep out the mats I would think, your kitty is very pretty!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is gorgeous! I agree with the others though. It's important that the cat is kept away from things such as glue and other craft items. Other then that, if you choose to bathe your cat every once in awhile she will get used to it. Sometimes it takes a few times but in my experience they do get used to it. And it is important to comb them out before getting them wet or you could have a mess on your hands after! I would also recommend blow drying a long haired cat. They don't like this at first either but now my Maxx just lays there and every once in awhile he'll look up at me like "are you finished yet?"
But blowdrying helps so that once the coat is dry, a comb will go through it pretty much like a hot knife through butter. But you have to blow dry at a high speed and low heat. It also prevents the fur on the belly and back of legs from kinking. When blow drying you wait to comb when the coat is pretty much dry.