Bathing and nail trims

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off do cats need actual baths? I have only bathed Twink as she had poos everywhere and of course needed it.
Second my kittens nails are always so long and its a struggle to trim, any tips for one person trimming them. Sometimes I can get a nail or 2 when they are snoozing lol
I have trimmed them regularly since I got them a year ago , it is just harder since they are bigger now. ( both kittens are 1.5yr )

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No I never bathe my cats unless they get something on them. They are indoor only (leashed outdoor time).

I brush them daily and that is fairly suitable. I recently bought a furminator and use that twice a week. The other brush we use is one of these: Whisker City® Slicker Cat Brush | cat Brushes, Combs & Blowdryers | PetSmart

It does help with dander as well. Calcifer gets dry skin sometimes and it loosens the dander. I can wipe him with a Burt's Bees dander reducing wipe after.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For nail trimming, I would continue when they are resting/tired and provide treats afterwards.
I prefer to teach my cats to accept this care rather than pin, etc. (Though, some rare cats you can't escape pinning)

I'm actually doing this but with a toy for Ghost lately...when he's laying down to bat at the toy I get a nail or two on his back feet.
Afterwards, I always give the cats treats even if they only let me do one foot.

Calcifer is the easiest in my house because his foster started fear-free. I just scoop, trim and then he stays to get a belly rub.

Magnus has a bit of toe trauma from when he was young so even though he's 3, we went back to square one a year and a half ago with him and are still building back up.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
For nail trimming, I would continue when they are resting/tired and provide treats afterwards.
I prefer to teach my cats to accept this care rather than pin, etc. (Though, some rare cats you can't escape pinning)

I'm actually doing this but with a toy for Ghost lately...when he's laying down to bat at the toy I get a nail or two on his back feet.
Afterwards, I always give the cats treats even if they only let me do one foot.

Calcifer is the easiest in my house because his foster started fear-free. I just scoop, trim and then he stays to get a belly rub.

Magnus has a bit of toe trauma from when he was young so even though he's 3, we went back to square one a year and a half ago with him and are still building back up.
Gosh,wish my cat was that easy. Major lap cat and loves a belly rub and brushing but whenever I try to trim she licks my finger!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nail cutting is my worse nightmare. out of 11 cats there’s only 2 that are real easy, some I have to baby talk to them to get the job done. One is a rescue cat who was declawed (cruel) and the others I literally have to hold them down and even when I sneak the trimmer in my hand they KNOW something’s going on..

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have a food motivated cat, putting some food down for them and trimming as they eat has worked well for one of my girls who absolutely will shred me if I try to do it any other way. If the nails are very long and not too curled, you can sneak the trimmers in and clip the ends while they are in a natural position and don't have to handle their feet at all.
I do not bathe my cats. However, the next kitten I get will be bathed with plain water regularly so if they ever need it for an emergency situation, it won't be a battle. I really wish I could give my 15 year old male a bath. He grooms himself quite well, but he's a heavy shedder and would look so nice if he was all shined up and de-shedded!

ProMeower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cats don't get baths (indoor only). We did bathe one as a kitten for maybe a month to get rid of fleas, but he hated it every time and doesn't like water as an adult either.

For the claws, I kneel on either side of the cat so that they can't back up and away, and do as many claws as they let me, with treats after. Repeat next day if there are still claws that need trimming. They learned to expect treats!

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats don't get baths (indoor only). We did bathe one as a kitten for maybe a month to get rid of fleas, but he hated it every time and doesn't like water as an adult either.

For the claws, I kneel on either side of the cat so that they can't back up and away, and do as many claws as they let me, with treats after. Repeat next day if there are still claws that need trimming. They learned to expect treats!
Treats do help!!
I would be curious if anyone has tried having a helper feed their cat one of those Churu or lickable treats while someone else clips nails, and if that works. I have done this with a few dogs over the years, and 99% of the time the difference is like night and day.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Treats do help!!
I would be curious if anyone has tried having a helper feed their cat one of those Churu or lickable treats while someone else clips nails, and if that works. I have done this with a few dogs over the years, and 99% of the time the difference is like night and day.
They went too wild and I couldn't cut any nails 😂

Calcifer must have his treats after.