Bathing 4 week old kittens

euniess

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently bought a shampoo for my 4 week old kittens but I didn't notice that it said "For ages 6 weeks and up". Should I follow it or is it okay to use the shampoo on them now?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't risk it, to be honest.

At four weeks, they're still too young to have fully developed immune systems and, like human babies, their skin is incredibly sensitive. Are these bottle babies? If not, mom cat usually does a good job of keeping them clean, but if she can't for any reason, warm water and a drop of Dawn liquid soap will usually work, and is much gentler on them, or most people have good luck with just a warm, wet washcloth.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wouldn't risk it, to be honest.

At four weeks, they're still too young to have fully developed immune systems and, like human babies, their skin is incredibly sensitive. Are these bottle babies? If not, mom cat usually does a good job of keeping them clean, but if she can't for any reason, warm water and a drop of Dawn liquid soap will usually work, and is much gentler on them, or most people have good luck with just a warm, wet washcloth.
This is true! I would definitely go with the dawn. They use this to wash oil off of baby ducks and other wildlife. I have adult cats and I still use Dawn to wash them. Use the blue kind that is original scent instead of anything that has additives.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

I just recently bought a shampoo for my 4 week old kittens but I didn't notice that it said "For ages 6 weeks and up". Should I follow it or is it okay to use the shampoo on them now?
Another point of this 6 weeks and up, its not recommended to bathe small kittens at all, unless you really must.  Iths the risk of chilling them out.

At four weeks they arent no longer as sensitive as infants, but still. Whom wants to risk?

Thus,  if you by any reason must bathe an infant, be sure it not get chilled.

A nicely warm room without draught.  Warm water, not hot but more than body warm.  Dry off thoroughly.  And have them on a heating pad the nearest hour.  Those whom recently had bathed, do tend to feel cold, no?  Especielly as the dry off is seldom complete.

Similiar advice for older kittens, even if its not that touchy as with infants.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
They are very sensitive. If you must wash them, please read this first - 
[article="31634"]How To Bathe Small Kittens The Safe Way  [/article]