Barn Kitten With Really Weak Back Legs

ChickenLady047

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Recently one of our neighbor's barn cats moved in under our chicken coop and had a litter of kittens, a boy and a girl. The boy is getting really big and I'm not worries about him at all, but the girl is, and always has been, really tiny. Once she decided that I wasn't worth being scared of, she follows me everywhere. :lol: My concern is that she's not getting enough (or the right food) to eat.

Dad realized just how skinny she is a couple days ago, and he's been giving her a little lunch meat during the day. Now her belly is super full, and her hind legs are so weak that she can't really jump onto things or get away from the chickens. I think it's a combination of just lack of muscle mass and her belly being so full, but I'm worried that she's constipated, too. :/
There's no way dad's gonna let me take a cat that technically isn't even ours to the vet, but is there something I can do to help at home?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Can you give her some plain pumpkin, try and get her to drink more water --but don't force her, and play with her so that she becomes more physically active.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChickenLady047

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!
Can you give her some plain pumpkin, try and get her to drink more water --but don't force her, and play with her so that she becomes more physically active.
I'll see if we have some pumpkin in the pantry, thanks!

The more I watch her, the worse her balance seems to get... Although she has seemed to "deflate" somewhat. :lol:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you get her some cat food instead of lunch meat? It'll be more nutritious and cheaper too. If she isn't getting decent nutrition that can affect her growth and development in a lot of ways.

What's the end game with this cat? Do you guys wantnto keep her? Are you hoping she'll go back to the neighbor's barn? If you don't want to keep her, maybe you could contact a rescue agency and see if they have any space for a sickly barn kitten. In my experience, the sickly ones don't survive for long if they stay outside.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd try to get her a dewormer and better nutrition then reevaluate. You should be able to call your vet to get a recommendation for a kitten safe dewormer. I'd advise for a full vet exam but most dewormers can be given without one if it is not an option. While lunch meat is better then nothing the salt content could be doing a number on her system (plus could add to the bloat). If you have a tractor supply near you they have decent cat/kitten food for a low cost and some have low cost vet hours too.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If your dad won't allow you to take the kitten to a vet, the best you can do is good nutrition, a good over-the-counter wormer and DEFLEA! This can be critical, as enough fleas can drain a kitten to the point of deadly anemia. Now, if the kitten enjoys being handled, you can holder in your lap on her little back, and GENTLY bicycle her hind legs for a couple of minutes a few times a day to help her build some muscle back there.

ChickenLady047

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you get her some cat food instead of lunch meat? It'll be more nutritious and cheaper too. If she isn't getting decent nutrition that can affect her growth and development in a lot of ways.

What's the end game with this cat? Do you guys wantnto keep her? Are you hoping she'll go back to the neighbor's barn? If you don't want to keep her, maybe you could contact a rescue agency and see if they have any space for a sickly barn kitten. In my experience, the sickly ones don't survive for long if they stay outside.
Yeah, I probably can. I'm gonna see if dad will let me get her some kitten food. We already have one cat inside, so we have food but idk how much good it'd do her.
I'm planning on keeping her, not sure what dad's thinking though. :lol: She'll probably be a mostly outside cat (but that's how most of our adopted strays start out... hehe) but I'm bringing her inside this weekend so I can keep a closer eye on her. She disappeared yesterday (was gone somewhere all night and most of today) and she's worse off now. Super super skinny. I'm done with the "barn cat"role for this kid, she's gonna be my girl.

I'd try to get her a dewormer and better nutrition then reevaluate. You should be able to call your vet to get a recommendation for a kitten safe dewormer. I'd advise for a full vet exam but most dewormers can be given without one if it is not an option. While lunch meat is better then nothing the salt content could be doing a number on her system (plus could add to the bloat). If you have a tractor supply near you they have decent cat/kitten food for a low cost and some have low cost vet hours too.
I'm planning on calling the vet tomorrow to see what I can do for her. Ooh, I'll see what days TSC does free/cheap clinics. I've seen signs for them out here. Thanks for the idea!

If your dad won't allow you to take the kitten to a vet, the best you can do is good nutrition, a good over-the-counter wormer and DEFLEA! This can be critical, as enough fleas can drain a kitten to the point of deadly anemia. Now, if the kitten enjoys being handled, you can holder in your lap on her little back, and GENTLY bicycle her hind legs for a couple of minutes a few times a day to help her build some muscle back there.
I hadn't thought about fleas, I'll check for some cheap deflea stuff at TSC.

Thanks for all the responses guys, it helps a lot!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

If the food says it is All Life Stages, that would be ok for both cats.

Regarding flea meds, check with the vet and ask about Revolution. In this case you want an effective and safe product.

Try making this to help get some weight back on her;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.

ChickenLady047

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

If the food says it is All Life Stages, that will be ok for both cats.

Regarding flea meds, check with the vet and ask about Revolution. In this case you want an effective and safe product.

Try making this to help get some weight back on her;
tent test for dehydration and home-made pedialyte recipe - The Daily Kitten

Also, try making one of these;
Kitten Glop Recipes - Supplementing Cats and Kittens with nutritious formula you make at home: presented by Bengal Cat breeder Foothill Felines. --This website has a number of kitten glop recipes, with ingredients that you may very well have in your house.
Awesome, this clears up a lot. :lol: Thank you so much!

ChickenLady047

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called the vet and the gave me some wormer for her. She hates it but I'm getting to her a little at a time. Her energy has improved a lot now that she's been getting food, too. I'll keep you all posted on uow she progresses, thanks for your help!