Barking Dog

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Milk maid

In some countries they are even banned (wish it was so world wide). In fact a man in Wales got a £2000 fine the other day for using one on his dog.
Terriers are banned in Wales. Jon Stewart even managed to get the Daily Show banned in the UK. In the UK, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was renamed to Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, and nunchucks were digitally erased. The "like" button from facebook is banned in Germany because "it leads to profiling that violates German and European law".

You'd be amazed what politicians have been able to ban. Google "San Francisco ban" for a laugh! I few weeks back they banned happy meals, and goldfish are next due to "animal cruelty" to keep them as pets.
Originally Posted by Minka

Please tell us it was on a dare xD
I forgot the safety word. JK! We all tried it out mostly just out of curiosity. You know what, I think I'll upload a youtube of it, heh!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaikrishna1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies everyone. Sorry it took me a little while to get back. The dog is a medium sized poodle, and yes, unfortuntely we live in semi rural so not sure who much legal say I have. The animal control says you have to have three neighbors who are all frustrated by the barking file a complaint together but with 1 to 5 acre parcels that just isn't realistic. Usually if a dog is barking it is annoying the neighbor closest. They claim the dog is just doing it's job, but we live in the country and there are going to be skunks and raccoons and possums and foxes and feral cats, and the dog is in a little yard no where near their livestock, which is fenced in and consists of a couple of goats and some chickens, not a farm. I have chickens and a secure coop and skunks can't get in. We don't have lions or coyotes this far down. I've been calling them every time the dog barks at night, either at night or in the morning, kind of like a shock collar for their nerves. lol
I used to have a livestock guardian dog and I would have her in at night. Oh, there goes the dog now at 4 am, big surprise.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

I've worn one myself, they aren't as bad as people think (remember the dog has non-conductive fur too, so its like putting it on your jeans or shirt). It is NOTHING like a human taser, which I will never ever ever again do as that is so ungodly painful. Granted, I would be one very large dog, but used properly you can adjust the good ones to the lowest setting that will get a response from the animal. No more, no less, and to object to that IMO you really just have to be one of the people that just doesn't believe in any negative reinforcement whatsoever rather than a question of degree. Personally, like with kids, I believe a combination of both positive and negative reinforcement work, just avoiding extremes.

Dogs typically also aren't idiotic, and they are training tools. After a few times, the dogs tend to figure out that loudly barking gets an undesirable response, so they stop. Same with invisible fences, the dogs don't shock themselves a hundred times a day, just maybe once every few months as a reminder the border is still there. If the dog did have a mental issue, then of course you would pursue other options.
I've done it to myself as well, lol. Infact, any training tool I'm considering using on my pets, I try on myself first.

To each their own on the issue of training tools, however I have yet to see a professional trainer successfully only use one method of training in a working dog, and very few situations where I would call it successful on pets. My dogs don't fear me, they do however respect the fact that I am in charge and as a result, everyone coexists peacefully.

To the OP - if the barking dog is in a fenced in section of their yard, would they consider putting something around the fence so the dog couldn't see out? It may eliminate the barking from actually seeing the animals, but the dog can still hear to bark for intruders (someone driving up, walking around, etc).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaikrishna1111

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They don't care. They have made that clear by their actions. I have been very clear that it is disturbing me and they aren't bringing him in, I am sure even if it wasn't an issue they wouldn't put a bark color on him because they don't want to go out of their way, they are insensitive people.