Balloon Releases.... WHY people!?!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
 This is the 3rd time THIS year that these 2 sisters I know have done a balloon release.  One was to commemorate the due date of a nephew that passed before he was born.  The other 2 were to commemorate the death and birthday of their father.  So all very sensitive issues.  I totally see how it's a nice way to commemorate them and what not.  But is it not common knowledge how dangerous that is for animals and the environment!? 

I don't see them often in real life; mostly though Facebook, but I do see them in real life and that is how I first knew them.  I want to say something...maybe indirectly because I'm really not about confrontation.  But how do you do that when it's something so sensitive as the deaths of loved ones?  And once I figure out how to say something...when do I say it?  It's certainly not appropriate to say something the day they are bound to be very emotional thinking of their father.

It really irks me that they keep doing this.  They are nice girls and I generally like them.  I wouldn't want to add to their hurt.  How would you approach it?  I just feel like even if I sent a private message to one of them, even with nice suggestions on how else they could commemorate him, it would make me come off like I don't care that they are missing him. 

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to work at a dollar store a few years ago and a lot of people bought balloons to release. Most people it was just one or two balloons, but some people went as far as getting one for every person in their family (sometimes it was 30+ balloons). I always wanted to say something to them, but because it was my job I couldn't.

I think a lot of people just don't realize that it is bad for the environment. Maybe you could google it and send her a link to an article? Maybe ask her if they are going to do balloon releases in the future, to limit it to one. One for the baby, one for the birthday and one for the death. Or try some environmentally friendly options. This website has a lot of good suggestions. http://balloonsblow.org/environmentally-friendly-alternatives  That's what I would do.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Here's how I would approach the conversation:

Me: Hey ballon releasing sister #1, I'm thinking I would like to do something similar to commentate X and I was thinking of butterflies or birdseed (or something from that list on the link above), have you done anything like that?

Balloon Releasing Sister #1: oh, we do balloons, it's so meaningful.

Me: yeah, I thought about that burin doing some research I see that it's not really good for the environment or animals and I really don't want to do something that might harm someone, ya know? I saw some really cool ideas online, what do you think?

BRS #1: really, I had no idea.

Blah, blah, blah

See, now you've engaged them instead of preaching at them. Now, hopefully, they'll be more interested in listening and making a change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used to work at a dollar store a few years ago and a lot of people bought balloons to release. Most people it was just one or two balloons, but some people went as far as getting one for every person in their family (sometimes it was 30+ balloons). I always wanted to say something to them, but because it was my job I couldn't.

I think a lot of people just don't realize that it is bad for the environment. Maybe you could google it and send her a link to an article? Maybe ask her if they are going to do balloon releases in the future, to limit it to one. One for the baby, one for the birthday and one for the death. Or try some environmentally friendly options. This website has a lot of good suggestions. http://balloonsblow.org/environmentally-friendly-alternatives  That's what I would do.
Oh that link is great!!  I love the idea of releasing flowers in the water.  We do live on the coast with plenty of water-ways around here!  And colored lights.  The day they did the balloon release for the baby they asked everyone who couldn't come to light a candle.  Which I did.  Another search thing I found said something about releasing like ladybugs or something that is helpful in your area.  I forget exactly how it was worded. 

Oh and they do release a bunch!  Esp the one for the baby!
Here's how I would approach the conversation:
Me: Hey ballon releasing sister #1, I'm thinking I would like to do something similar to commentate X and I was thinking of butterflies or birdseed (or something from that list on the link above), have you done anything like that?
Balloon Releasing Sister #1: oh, we do balloons, it's so meaningful.
Me: yeah, I thought about that burin doing some research I see that it's not really good for the environment or animals and I really don't want to do something that might harm someone, ya know? I saw some really cool ideas online, what do you think?
BRS #1: really, I had no idea.
Blah, blah, blah
See, now you've engaged them instead of preaching at them. Now, hopefully, they'll be more interested in listening and making a change.
Thank you that is great!  My Grandpa's birthday is coming up next week and he passed just over a year ago.  I could use that easily!  I know at least some of my friends know I plant Forget-me-Nots every year for him now.  Now my wheels are turning! 

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In grade school, we used to do balloon released every year on the last day of summer day camp. We would tie a card with our name and address and a short note so whoever finds it could know who sent it. I even got a letter one year from a lady in Kentucky that found my balloon and we wrote back and forth for a while. I was really fun. Of course, that idea just isn't safe in this day and age, for more than one reason. This was also the 70's when people still threw rice at weddings and didn't realize the harm it could bring to birds. Not only have we, as a society, gotten smarter about the environment, but the environment itself has changed so much we HAVE to be careful.

I think RAFM's conversation is the best way to go!