Balding

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am home for the holidays. I am happy to see our family cat. She is wuite old now. Still sweet as heaven. I noticed above her eyes she has bald patches. Is this normal in senior cats or is she sick?

I tried to post pictures but kept getting errors

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

u can see where patches of hair are gone especially abovd left eye

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Better to check with the vet once they are open from the holidays as the causes are wide-ranging. Is she scratching a lot? Could be parasites such as mites or fleas?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Thin spots on the temples are normal, but that looks like it's more than than. Loss of hair in a senior cat is often due to hyperthyroidism, though there could be other causes. Has she had a senior blood panel done recently?

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Better to check with the vet once they are open from the holidays as the causes are wide-ranging. Is she scratching a lot? Could be parasites such as mites or fleas?
She only ever scratches that spot and no visible fleas or mites. indoor cat only.

Ghoulofnagoya

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thin spots on the temples are normal, but that looks like it's more than than. Loss of hair in a senior cat is often due to hyperthyroidism, though there could be other causes. Has she had a senior blood panel done recently?
So I think we have to check but mom and dad say don’t waste money unless kitty is ill. SHE is REALLY old and dad said doing well for her age. Got Elphaba senior year of Elementary school so like around the year 2003.

She still grooms herself Purrs alot and loves cuddling. I think for my own peace of mind would like to get blood checked though

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
She only ever scratches that spot and no visible fleas or mites. indoor cat only.
I have a totally indoor cat that caught earmites. It could not be visibly seen and the vet used a special equipment in the clinic to detect it. Initially I thought it was just stress. The bald spot was just around her ears and neck. Now I am still treating her and she still has her 3rd appointment with the vet this week. So I suggest your cat be taken to the vet to check further so whatever it is could be remedied much earlier.