Bald spot

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

My cat is licking his stomach by his back legs almost raw. I did find fleas in the house a couple days ago so I have given him flea prevention and washed everything. I also am planning on taking him to the vet next week. Is there anything I can put on the area in the meantime? I've tried a onesie but he acts like he's paralyzed and won't move. He has had liver issues in the past too from not eating so I don't want to put a cone on him since I don't think he'll eat with one on. He does have very runny eyes right now and a minor sneeze too so im wondering if it's a combination of the fleas and allergies that are causing his excessive licking. Otherwise he's eating, drinking and very active. He just won't stop licking. Especially that one spot.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The spot you are talking about seems to be a 'harbor' for fleas, so they may be biting him especially in that area. Flea treatments can take some time to work, and depending on the type you are using, not all kill flea eggs/larvae, so the cycle continues. The effort to get rid of them can be very time consuming.

While he could be allergic to flea bites, possibly causing the runny eyes/sneezing, as a layperson, I don't believe they are necessarily related, but could be a seasonal issue (or a viral condition, for that matter).

The best defense to any issue is an education. So, you can start here (see link below), but you also need to look into the runny eye/sneezing issue separately.
FleaScience

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lindsayj014

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay thank you. I was thinking I might need some stronger flea preventative from the vet and I will ask about that. I currently just get all my cats a preventative off of chewy. I do have 3 other cats and a dog but none of them are having a strong reaction to the fleas.

Jax is 10 now and when he was younger I was told he has the herpes virus so he has had several upper respiratory infections since I've had him. So that might be what's going on right now along with the fleas. I also see a few scabs by one of his eyes and he has pretty bad acne under his chin right now too. But those might not all be related.