Bald spot on stomach

WBates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Wayla is16 years old. She has had a bad immune system her whole life. The vet said she received her vaccines when she was too young and it messed her up. She almost died 3 times when she was a kitten, twice from worms, once from toxoplasmosis, things cats usually get over quickly and may never show symptoms of. When my dad passed away, she became very stressed (this was 10 years ago) and developed abscesses in her anal sacks.

Lately, she has been healthier than ever. No problems other than some loose teeth, but she eats well and is generally happy.

About 2 months ago, I noticed a bald patch on her stomach when I was brushing her. It's her lower stomach next to her leg, it is about the size of a fist but is usually hidden because of where it is. It was covered in fine short fur, so I figured it was growing back. I decided to keep an eye on it.

I haven't noticed her scratching or acting like it is uncomfortable. She doesn't mind when I touch it or brush her (she would get very upset when she had her abscess and I would brush her). Sometimes when she sits on the couch and gets up, she leaves behind large wads of fur.

Her bald spot is now the same size, covered with the same really short, fine fur. It isn't growing any more, or getting any balder. The skin there looks healthy. Do you think she is okay? Could this be some kind of cancer or something? She leaves behind large wads of fur, but no new bald spots have appeared. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's strange. I think you should bring her to the vet to get that checked out, given her history.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that she should see a vet. There are a multitude of skin conditions that can cause fur loss, but most of them would cause itching, so I don’t have any good ideas of what it might be, but your vet will be able to figure it out.

Skin Conditions In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WBates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah, I just always worry that she'll pick something up at the vet. What if she's fine, she seems fine, but then I bring her to the vet and she catches something she can't get over?

nycats

Mother of 3 cats & fosters
Adult Cat
Purraise
If that's your concern, perhaps you could look into a vet service that comes to your home. It's certainly more expensive, but it should give you the ease of not exposing her to multiple animals at the vet's office.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

WBates

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I didn't know there was such a thing anymore.