Bald spot on hind leg!

dthlo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed a pink bald spot (0.5cm) on the rear hind leg of my 3yr old torbie cat, right by the 'elbow' joint. I adopted her 6+ months ago, and have seen her gnaw on that spot before but not to an extent where hair loss occurred. Doesn't seem to bother her now. No other symptoms, not on any medications other than flea prevention. She's the only (house) cat we have, and occasionally goes into apt building hallway for a walk. Been eating 50% dry food and 50% wet (not raw). Currently using Advantage II and she's due for another dose in a week.
  • Wanted to know if I should give her her Advantage II dose now (didn't see an fleas on flea comb)?
  • Is there anything I can do to keep her from chewing on it or sooth the area?
  • Is it possible that it will heal on its own with no intervention?
  • At what point should I go to the vet?
  • How do I check to see if it is ringworm?
  • Is it just a callus?
  • IMG_8137.jpg
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It very well may be a callus. One of my cats has them on both his hind legs. I've had the Vet look at them during normal exams and she said if I want, I can rub a little oil or vaseline on them, but that proved difficult. I do notice that once in a great while he does gnaw on one of them, but for the most part he leaves them alone.

- I would apply the Advantage at it's normal time
- if it's a callus, you can try applying some oil or vaseline to see if that helps. If it's something else, try this remedy from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953

For soothing in the meantime, you can try chilled chamomile tea as a wash . It is safe externally, and internally in proper dosages (far more than she could lick off while grooming). I suggest using commercial tea bags, pure chamomile, not a blend. Brew the tea, chill it, then swab on with a soft cloth or cotton ball. It's good for all sorts of skin "ouchies," and is both mildly antibiotic and antifungal, so will help ward off secondary infections.

I recommend the commercial tea bags because they are ALL made from German Chamomile. The English, which grows in a lot of gardens is useless medicinally, and toxic to cats. The two look quite similar unless you REALLY know your herbs.

-Anything is possible, if a callus, probably not though
-if it spread to other parts of her body, or she won't leave it alone
-Ringworm usually lights up green using a blacklight (but not always)
- possibly