Bald Spot On Ear - With Pics

karasevic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Today I noticed a bald patch on my male cats ear. It was not there earlier this morning and seems like it happened out of nowhere.

He is a good shape, with shiney fur. No sign of scratching. He is eating normal and is active. He is an indoor cat and has no interaction with outside world.

I was even able to touch the bald spot and it doesn't seem to bother him.

I was wondering if anyone here might know what this could be. I am attaching a picture hoping that it will help.

He is semi feral and catching him for a vet visit is not very easy nor pleasant. Hoping I can get some answers here before putting him through a vet visit stress.

Thanks.

Attachments

Eva Fitz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have a male and female cats. They both have this sometimes. Basically if they scratch their ears a bit too hard then they can rip out fur or it can get caught on things. It’s nothing to worry about and usually the fur will grow back but it won’t cause the cat any pain or discomfort.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It takes far less time and energy to scratch a bald spot on an ear than one might think, actually. And sometimes cats just have random itches, just as we do. Watch it over the next few days, but don't worry unless it grows significantly or becomes raw. Should that happen, get back in here, and we'll start putting our heads together!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karasevic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I have a male and female cats. They both have this sometimes. Basically if they scratch their ears a bit too hard then they can rip out fur or it can get caught on things. It’s nothing to worry about and usually the fur will grow back but it won’t cause the cat any pain or discomfort.
Hi,

Thank you so much for replying. I will keep and eye on it and come back with more info if things change :)

karasevic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It takes far less time and energy to scratch a bald spot on an ear than one might think, actually. And sometimes cats just have random itches, just as we do. Watch it over the next few days, but don't worry unless it grows significantly or becomes raw. Should that happen, get back in here, and we'll start putting our heads together!
Hi,

Thank you for getting back to me. I will monitor and come bug you here if it spreads. :)

karasevic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Never "bugging" me when it comes to a cat's wellbeing!
Thanks Mamanyt1953, I have an update , not sure if I'm being all worried over nothing but thought it might be related.

Looking at my cats paw today I noticed a red dot (very small) on his pawpad. It's like someone grabbed a red pen and marked his paw. I was never able to touch his paws before but tried and he didnt scratch nor swatted(guess that means he is not in pain)

Could this be related to his hair loss on ear issue? Or is it a separate condition that we need to seek professional help for.

Thanks.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I doubt that it is related. It is just barely possible, but only "just barely." He probably stepped on or swatted at something sharp somewhere in the house (you'd be amazed at what your cat can find that you can't find). It obviously isn't bothering him. Give it a few days, and if it changes for the worse, it should be seen.

The signs that ANY cat is getting into real trouble with something like this are: changes in eating and drinking, changes in litter box habits, lethargy in an otherwise normally active cat, hyperactivity in a normally placid cat, overt signs of infection (swelling, discharge) or lameness.

How are the ears, BTW? Any change, either way?

karasevic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I doubt that it is related. It is just barely possible, but only "just barely." He probably stepped on or swatted at something sharp somewhere in the house (you'd be amazed at what your cat can find that you can't find). It obviously isn't bothering him. Give it a few days, and if it changes for the worse, it should be seen.

The signs that ANY cat is getting into real trouble with something like this are: changes in eating and drinking, changes in litter box habits, lethargy in an otherwise normally active cat, hyperactivity in a normally placid cat, overt signs of infection (swelling, discharge) or lameness.

How are the ears, BTW? Any change, either way?
Hi,

Thank you for sharing the trouble signs with me :) luckily he doesn't have any of them:)
His ear is doing ok, there is some fuzz growing. Hopefully it will grow back soo .

Being a cat parent for the first time. I panic over minor things some times. Glad there are friendly people like you here helping rookies like m .

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everybody at the Cat Site is friendly and anxious to help you. There's a first time for everyone, and we love to share our experiences. Don't be shy about asking questions.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Being a cat parent for the first time. I panic over minor things some times. Glad there are friendly people like you here helping rookies like m .
That's what we're here for! And trust me, even those of us who have had cats all of our lives can panic over minor things on occasion!

karasevic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what we're here for! And trust me, even those of us who have had cats all of our lives can panic over minor things on occasion!
Red spot is gone and his hair is growing bac . Woot woot

Thank you for your help.

karasevic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everybody at the Cat Site is friendly and anxious to help you. There's a first time for everyone, and we love to share our experiences. Don't be shy about asking questions.
Thank you! Happy I joined the forum.