Bald spot near whiskers

JoelleLa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! My cat is 11 years old and I’ve noticed a weird bald spot next to her whiskers. There’s no scabbing and she never scratches it. It’s just a loss of hair in such a weird spot. She never goes outside and she’s been eating pretty much the same as always. In addition to this, she sneezes quite frequently which, honestly, I’ve never seen her do, but it’s been happening a lot for a couple of weeks. It doesn’t happen in any specific area of my house either, so I’m not sure if it’s the environment she’s in or some kind of sickness. Honestly I’m just worried about this bald spot and the sneezing because I love my cat and I just wanted some help before jumping to conclusions. I attached some pictures, it was kind of a difficult spot to take a picture of so I hope they’re good enough to see. Thank you!

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! That spot almost looks like a wound of sorts. I know you said she doesn't scratch at it, but maybe you don't see her do it? She might be doing that because the sneezing is bothering her nose. The sneezing could be a ton of different things - any changes in litter, new carpeting/rugs/furniture, aerosols that you spray around the house, candles? Even things like a change in detergent/perfumes/lotions/etc. might be affecting her. Has she been in for a senior check up (including full scale bloodwork) recently? If you can't identify anything in the environment that could be the culprit, a check up might be in order, especially if she hasn't had one in the past 6 months or so.

If that is a wound, you could try buying chamomile tea bags (standard grocery store varieties, which are mostly German - you don't want English nor any flavorings/additives), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and dab it on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiple times a day. The tea has both healing and soothing properties, and it is also an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal agent. It is safe should she manage to ingest a bit by wiping her paw on the spot and then licking her paw afterward.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JoelleLa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! That spot almost looks like a wound of sorts. I know you said she doesn't scratch at it, but maybe you don't see her do it? She might be doing that because the sneezing is bothering her nose. The sneezing could be a ton of different things - any changes in litter, new carpeting/rugs/furniture, aerosols that you spray around the house, candles? Even things like a change in detergent/perfumes/lotions/etc. might be affecting her. Has she been in for a senior check up (including full scale bloodwork) recently? If you can't identify anything in the environment that could be the culprit, a check up might be in order, especially if she hasn't had one in the past 6 months or so.

If that is a wound, you could try buying chamomile tea bags (standard grocery store varieties, which are mostly German - you don't want English nor any flavorings/additives), brew a bag in water, cool the liquid, and dab it on that spot with cotton balls or a soft cloth multiple times a day. The tea has both healing and soothing properties, and it is also an anti-bacterial, anti-fungal agent. It is safe should she manage to ingest a bit by wiping her paw on the spot and then licking her paw afterward.
I’m going to try the tea and I’ll set up an appointment at the Veterinarian for bloodwork and a checkup. Thank you, again.