Bald Spot Above Eye

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About a week ago I noticed a bald spot above my 11 year old cat's eye (I'll attach some photos below). It was very strange because she was sitting on my lap, got down to go eat, and when she came back the bald spot was there! I have no idea how it happened. The skin there looked very red when it first happened, but now the skin just looks dry. I'm not able to take her to the vet at the moment, but I'm really worried. Any ideas what might have caused this?

Pictures:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like it's getting better if the redness has decreased and the area is dry now. However, a picture would help. Unfortunately your pics did not show up in your post. Here is some helpful info about how to post pictures:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I was able to see the pic you posted. It looks irritated, but if you say it is getting less red, then hopefully it is healing. Any scratching going on? Any other spots anywhere on your cat's body? Are there other cats in your household that might have scratched her?

You can try rubbing a little bit of the basic Neosporin (no pain additives) on it a few times a day to see if that helps with healing it, and reducing the chance of her scratching it while it heals because it is itchy. Or, an even better option would be to buy chamomile tea bags (standard grocery store variety, no additives) and brew one with water. Let the liquid cool, and then dab it on the spot with a cotton ball, also a few times a day. The tea has both healing and soothing properties, and is safe if she would ingest it.

If she has other spots like that anywhere else on her body, it could be flea or allergy related, just to name a couple of possibilities. If this one spot, or any others don't heal up quickly, it is time for a vet visit to check for a potential infection.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

princess7807

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I was able to see the pic you posted. It looks irritated, but if you say it is getting less red, then hopefully it is healing. Any scratching going on? Any other spots anywhere on your cat's body? Are there other cats in your household that might have scratched her?

You can try rubbing a little bit of the basic Neosporin (no pain additives) on it a few times a day to see if that helps with healing it, and reducing the chance of her scratching it while it heals because it is itchy. Or, an even better option would be to buy chamomile tea bags (standard grocery store variety, no additives) and brew one with water. Let the liquid cool, and then dab it on the spot with a cotton ball, also a few times a day. The tea has both healing and soothing properties, and is safe if she would ingest it.

If she has other spots like that anywhere else on her body, it could be flea or allergy related, just to name a couple of possibilities. If this one spot, or any others don't heal up quickly, it is time for a vet visit to check for a potential infection.
I have some bacitracin ointment (the same stuff that's neosporin, i think?). Is that okay? What if she ingests some of it? But thanks, I'll get some chamomile tea and see if it helps.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think Bacitracin and Neosporin are the same thing, but not 100% sure. The Neosporin without pain additives is OK should she ingest a bit. But, rub it in pretty good to prevent that.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
can you see them now?
Yes, thank you. :thanks: When you first posted your thread the pictures did not show up but I see a lovely cat now.

I wanted to explain the basic difference between Bacitracin and Neosporin.
Bacitracin and Neosporin are both available in ointment forms. Bacitracin is a brand-name drug that contains the active ingredient bacitracin only. Neosporin is the brand name of a combination drug with the active ingredients bacitracin, neomycin, and polymixin b.

If this one spot, or any others don't heal up quickly, it is time for a vet visit to check for a potential infection.
I completely agree and would contact your vet to ask if you need to bring her in for an evaluation. Best of luck! :alright: