Bald patch on side of tail

daryl the cat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed this bald patch on Daryl yesterday.  He does groom and pull out clumps of hair sometimes.  I've read this can be stress, but he's a pretty laid-back cat. 

I started him on Advantage last month when I first noticed him pulling out hair.  I haven't seen any fleas on him or in the house, but with spring finally here I thought I should get him on it anyway.  I also have a dog who goes outside a lot and he's on Advantix.

Food:  Fancy Feast 2x a day.  Merrick grain-free kibble free-fed.

Supplements:  Fish oil 1x a day.  Cosequin 1x a day.

Does this look fungal?  Allergies?  I am going to make a vet appointment but I was hoping for opinions first. 

This is the best photo I could get.  He wasn't being very cooperative. 

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that was pulling out fur and had a bald spot that looks exactly like that, but on her upper leg. I thought it was stress, and the vet did too, but she put her on an antihistamine--Chlormaleate--anyway. It has been not quite two weeks since the vet visit, and she has stopped overgrooming and pulling out her fur completely. Her hair has almost completely grown back. Your cat could be stressed, but it could also be itchiness due to seasonal allergies. An antihistamine from the vet might be worth trying.