balconies and kitty

jettafer99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a wood railing deck, 3 floors up that overlooks a large lawn/garden. There is also a very large oak tree that hangs over my deck. Soon I am going to be spending lots of time out there, but my kitty has always been indoors and I think would love to come outside.
Is there a danger she could fall? Or maybe even
climb the tree and run away? She is a well behaved 7yr old cat, and not mischevious, but now when I open the sliding doors (w/ screens) she will sit inside right by the screen and look out for hours.
I live in a small 1 bed apt and I know letting her out on the deck would add some much needed stimulation and joy to her, but am I paranoid? Someone suggested a harness w/ a leash? I cant make improvements to balcony (screens or anything due to apt regulations) so I would like some advice..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jettafer99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestion.. The Cat Condo from Robbies is really cool! but my deck is much smaller than that (only room for a couple of small chairs/table and a plant or 2) and my apt has strict regulations about what can be outside.

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that also loves to go outside but I don't like the idea of her out on her own even with supervision. I've tried a harness and leash but she can escape those in about 5 seconds. What I found that works great is a metal dog exercise pen. The one I have fold flat when it's not being used and you can remove a panel or two to get it to fit where ever you need to use it. There is also a cover you can get to stop your kitty from going over the top. My cat won't jump and even if she did she couldn't hurt herself so I didn't get the top. I will attach a link to one similar I got from Petsmart. I don't know if it will work for you but it might be worth a try.

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...=1110222485588

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The exercise pen looks good, particularly if you can get a cover. Another possibility would be an extra-large dog carrier. We have one we brought our Boxer over in, and I've occasionally used it in the backyard for Jamie when we've been painting or doing other renovations. There are wire-mesh ones you can get.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kathryn41

Check out this website as well - there may be something here that you can adapt or use.

This 'condo' looks like a possibility, but check around and see what else they offer:-).

Kathryn

http://www.kittywalksystems.com/kitpen.html
Yep, that's the stuff I had in mind. The vertical enclosure or the deck version might be just what she needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jettafer99

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much all for the great ideas and advice. I will check this all out. Its 75 degrees today (crazy Oregon weather!) so spring fever is abounding and kitty has it too ;-) We cant wait to share the deck together.