Balanced Raw Diet

wildog47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone. I seem to have the opposite problem to most as my cat I want to switch to raw will ONLY eat chunks and raw meaty bones (chicken wings and thigh either chunks or she crunches with bone)
I need to be able to balance her meal with additional vitamins and minerals but not sure how to do this as she will not eat mince. she will not eat commercially prepared raw either. :(. She is 11 almost 12 . She has a mass around where her liver is and her liver stats are up on blood tests. this us last hope. I adopted her 1.5 years ago. She Pukes up half of what she eats. pukes up wet food, dry food and anything that Isnt just meat. I still feed her wet food even though half the time she throws it up. She is severely underweight at 6 lb. she should be 10 lb.

Surgery to remove the mass would not be an option even if we determined where it was exactly. it's over 1000 to get an ultrasound x ray and blood work. since we can only treat symptoms.i really need her to gain weight.

So long story short. I need to know how I can add Vitamin E, B complex, Taurine, Wild Salmon Oil and Lite salt to the meat? in addition would the bone in 1 wing be enough calcium daily? I plan to chunk up boneless skinless leg and thigh. and give her a skin on, bone in wing as well. in addition to the appropriate amount of chicken liver and chicken heart with it. Obviously weighed out and with the appropriate amount of the supplements. I am aware of the amounts needed. Would sprinkling on the supplements to the food work if she will eat it? or does it need to be minced through? I plan to add all supplements before feeding immediately. I'm starting with just chicken as outlined above. But I plan to ultimately do a rotation of 5 protein sources, Turkey, chicken, beef, Rabbit and Lamb.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wildog47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I just checked out alnutrin and Ezcomllete
and alnutrin says to add it in a mince. Ezcomplete does have 1 line where they say "..whether you sprinkle on or mix in be sure to transition slowly...."so I take it that means I can do chunks and sprinkle that on. I wonder if ez complete would be cheaper or more expensive long term though? I'd like to switch my other 2 cats eventuallytoo.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can use any form of meat with EZ Complete: as long as it's boneless, you're fine. The meat can be cooked or raw. I use EZ on cooked meat that I shred, cut, mince, put in the food processor, or otherwise make into shapes and forms that the cats like. It's not the cheapest supplement but it's very good -- our vet loves the ingredients and has recommended it for other patients -- and if you shop carefully (I'm glad our cats like pork!) it's most definitely cheaper than premium commercial foods.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've done chunks of meat with EZ Complete before. I would suggest to add less water when doing chunks because otherwise you end up with a very liquidy food since the chunks don't mix up as well as a grind does. I make up for it by adding some extra water and mixing it in with every meal when I serve it. But that's for big batches, if you're just going to use it for single serve meals then use however much water you like!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wildog47

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! so you have to add water to ez complete? I'm worried that she won't go for the liquid.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, you don't have to add water to EZComplete. In your case, the water would just be to make a kind of sauce to coat the meat pieces. The difficulty in using chunked meat is that you need to make sure the cat consumes all of the supplement including any that doesn't stick to the chunks. Some cats like the sauce and lap up any that doesn't stick to the meat chunks. Some will also lap up any powder that falls off if all you do is sprinkle it on the meat.