Bagels anyone?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My first time at making bagels. Now, don't laugh; they do look weird. I don't know why I got the dimples and they're certainly not perfectly round. But man, that chewiness? It's there! They're really good!

I think I added too much flour. Often a recipe will say "4 cups of bread flour" and then "Oh, just throw everything into the mixer and...." . But sometimes you may not need all that flour or you may need more. And that's why I prefer to knead all my doughs by hand instead of a mixer. This time I used the mixer. And just threw everything in. I debated how to do it, but then just did it anyway. Next time I'll do it all by hand.

This time I just made dough balls, then stuck my finger through the ball and enlarged the hole. Next time, I'll roll the pieces out, knead the ends together, and make the rings that way.

I boiled them in honey water for one minute on each side. Brushed them with an egg white wash. And then baked them. They're not perfectly brown either.
Rick toasted one for breakfast and he thought it was so good!
(Just don't look at it while you're eating it!)
FirstBagels.jpg

Next on my list is egg bagels. I have a great recipe for a hot crab cheese spread that we spread on bagels. Egg bagels would be perfect for that spread and it would be great for movie night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks! They are cinnamon raisin bagels. Instead of adding cinnamon to the dough, you knead the dough in a cinnamon-sugar mixture instead of flour on the counter. Rick was tickled with them; he's having the last one toasted this morning.

I do not like cream cheese. IMO, cream cheese is diseased and should be declared illegal. :barfgreen:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Pam, those bagels look delicious!! absolutely yummy!!
For a first try.. OMG.. amazing...

I love bagels.. There is one place, over a hundred years old, a hole in the wall place. This bagel shop is located in the city next to me. They have amazing bagels. I was raised on them!!

No place to eat, but just run in, get your bagels, and run out... Delish... They have pizza bagels also! and teething bagels!! and a bagel hot dog!! (bagel wrapped around a kosher all beef hot dog).

I remember when I was small. The store was not open. My dad, who grew up in that city, would go to the back door. They would let him in, and give him whatever they had just made. I can still picture the bagels floating in water, and on trays, to go into the oven. It was always so hot in there.

Now, I want bagels!!! yum...

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks! They are cinnamon raisin bagels. Instead of adding cinnamon to the dough, you knead the dough in a cinnamon-sugar mixture instead of flour on the counter. Rick was tickled with them; he's having the last one toasted this morning.

I do not like cream cheese. IMO, cream cheese is diseased and should be declared illegal. :barfgreen:
Sounds delicious, but I'd totally have them with cream cheese.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Pam, your bagels look delicious and I'd love to join you for movie night. 😋

One of the advantages of living in a metropolitan city is the delis. We have several bagel and bialy delis within 10 -15 minutes from us. I don't think anyone can resist a good bagel especially when it's smeared with a yummy spread. 🥯

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
M maggiedemi I thought of you today because I stopped at Aldi for a few items and saw these mini-bagels. I had no idea they carried them but couldn't pass them up. I know you don't like sweets but I toasted a cinnamon raisin one with peanut butter for lunch and it was delicious. Not too sweet, just the right flavor.

IMG_0865.jpeg