Bad kitty breath and general dental care

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I know that you are suppose to brush your cat's teeth every however often but I don't see that as possible for me. My 2 year old is not too keen on me doing anything to him he doesn't approve of (when he needed liquid antibiotics I had to squirt the dose on his fur and let him lick it off rather then TRY and get it in his mouth). My not quite 1 year old might be up to the task but I still need a solution for the older one. Neither have any dental disease YET but I would like to prevent that. I've tried water additives (not sure if they work), dental treats (the younger one just swallows them), chew toys (no interest) and even these stick "treat" things that allegedly make the cats want to chew them (not a whole lot of interest). Any treats your cats like that help with bad breath and teeth cleaning (preferably something they have to gnaw).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Do your cats currently have bad breath? If they've been in to a vet lately and their mouths checked out fine, it could be the food causing a slightly upset tummy so you could try changing the brand or introducing canned food if they aren't getting it already.

Cats aren't good at grinding treats, although you could consider raw chicken necks and wing tips (supervise the first time just to be sure things go the way they should).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Do your cats currently have bad breath? If they've been in to a vet lately and their mouths checked out fine, it could be the food causing a slightly upset tummy so you could try changing the brand or introducing canned food if they aren't getting it already.

Cats aren't good at grinding treats, although you could consider raw chicken necks and wing tips (supervise the first time just to be sure things go the way they should).

[/URL]
Both of my cats have "cat breath" but the younger one likes to lick me awake every morning so I notice his more. Its not overly bad, but his smells like butthole and cat food.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has a vet seen them lately, like last four-six months?
I took him to a vetco clinic in December or January (vetco is when vets in your area go to a Petco store and have a clinic where they perform limited services for a reduced fee. Idk if they checked his teeth but he got a clean bill of health)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you have, or can get, the paperwork it should tell you, plus it'd be handy to have for the future.

Do they get canned food?

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have, or can get, the paperwork it should tell you, plus it'd be handy to have for the future.

Do they get canned food?
Yes they both do. But I alternate it with dry food.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You could try alternating with a different brand of canned, it might help. I found my boy's breath got a lot better with a food change. --oh, by the way if you don't want to go the messy raw chicken route, there are water additives for dental health 👍

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try alternating with a different brand of canned, it might help. I found my boy's breath got a lot better with a food change. --oh, by the way if you don't want to go the messy raw chicken route, there are water additives for dental health 👍
Any particular ones you like?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will butt in to mention dental water additives, or a dental chew, or treat. Nothing is as good as brushing but any of those are better than most people do. Or just put aside a couple hundred and plan a dental cleaning every couple years. My cat is 17 and had 2 cleanings with extractions in the past year. Her teeth were beautiful (per a routine cleaning with xrays) until around 12 when she had a dead tooth removed. I like to think it had something to do with a lifetime of tearing meat off the bones of all the prey she hunted. But who knows.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will butt in to mention dental water additives, or a dental chew, or treat. Nothing is as good as brushing but any of those are better than most people do. Or just put aside a couple hundred and plan a dental cleaning every couple years. My cat is 17 and had 2 cleanings with extractions in the past year. Her teeth were beautiful (per a routine cleaning with xrays) until around 12 when she had a dead tooth removed. I like to think it had something to do with a lifetime of tearing meat off the bones of all the prey she hunted. But who knows.
My oldest has had 1 tooth removed but he had broken 3 out of 4 roots on it. I'm mostly just trying to do as much as I can currently

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know about water additives personally, but this thread might be interesting for you;

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are also no-brush tooth gels. I use one from Beaphar: Beaphar Toothgel for dogs and cats

I can't say it's as effective as brushing but I believe they are effective as I can't brush my Hima's teeth and when I skip giving this Beaphar gel a few days, she gets a flare-up. I can't brush Hima's teeth as her gums are sensitive and brushing makes it worse. However, in case that works for you, I've never had a probem with brushing Hima's teeth when I did by letting her do that. Like hold the brush, let the cat examine and play, if your kitty is like Hima he will try to bite it. When it's already in his mouth you can slowly move the brush a bit.

What dental treats are you using? If he's swallowing without chewing I think the treats might be too small. I give the street kitties and occasionally my Hima Feline Greenies. They all take time to chew a bit.

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are also no-brush tooth gels. I use one from Beaphar: Beaphar Toothgel for dogs and cats

I can't say it's as effective as brushing but I believe they are effective as I can't brush my Hima's teeth and when I skip giving this Beaphar gel a few days, she gets a flare-up. I can't brush Hima's teeth as her gums are sensitive and brushing makes it worse. However, in case that works for you, I've never had a probem with brushing Hima's teeth when I did by letting her do that. Like hold the brush, let the cat examine and play, if your kitty is like Hima he will try to bite it. When it's already in his mouth you can slowly move the brush a bit.

What dental treats are you using? If he's swallowing without chewing I think the treats might be too small. I give the street kitties and occasionally my Hima Feline Greenies. They all take time to chew a bit.
They get purina dentalife and feline greenies.