Bad Habits in Peeing and Pooping

faiz nazim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, everyone!

My Wardah, a himmy, is now about 3 months old. The problem is with her pees as you can see on the title.

For the litter box, I put the box in a room which is with carpets. Therefore, I cover under the box with newspapers or any large paper, just to make sure that she won't mess up the area around. But in the end, she has this bad habits of peeing on the papers instead of, in the box, sometimes. I know that this is a habit because in the early age, her previous owner taught her so.

Does anyone know how to make sure she always use the litter box? I tried before to make sure she use the box by putting some papers in the litter but it causes harder works and much more mess, especially because the paper won't clump and my himmy would easily steps on her pee/poo for instance .

Yeah and how do I train her to go into the litter box to poop? This differs because she will poop in the box if she's confined in the room, but if she's outside the room, left roaming in the house, she would instead use the kitchen tiles as her place to poop (which is another thing the previous owner taught her). I know this because the previous owner asked me to prepare papers in the kitchen for her on the day he gave me her which I totally don't agree for so many reason. Or, shouldn't I?

I've tried the technique of keeping in cage for her practices (a lot of time) which did not yet works but in the mean time caused me to having to bath her every single time after that because she's a himmy and when you gets a himmy, with it, comes a great responsibility (for her fur).

So, any advice?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do two things :
Do the newspaper inside of the litter box idea again. I know it's not ideal because she gets messy, but it is important to make sure she understands that the litter box is the right place to go. Maybe if you ripped up the newspaper into shreds, and put a small amount of litter in there, she wouldn't get so messy?
Put a litter box in the kitchen. I know.. It's also not ideal, but if you also put one there, then you will be able to more easily connect her normal area of going with a litter box. Then when she starts using it, you can move it a couple feet at a time towards a different spot where you would like to keep it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

faiz nazim

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
catspaw66 : Thanks for that thread. Not so much of a help in my situation but gave me some useful information, just in case.

Minka : Yeah, I think, I'll try your advice. And kitchen's not a bad place after all. Hurm. Thanks a lot!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
catspaw66 : Thanks for that thread. Not so much of a help in my situation but gave me some useful information, just in case.
I didn't read the whole thread I posted.  I saw that it involved what sounded like your problem.  At least there was something useful in there.  The articles section is a great place to start with any problem or questions you have.

Keep us updated on how things are going, and we will keep thinking up more possible solutions.