bad cat

lisa4502

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help, we have the worst cat in the world. I want to keep him but if he doesn't start behaving I don't know what else to do but give him up. He knows what the word NO means but he doesn't care. He's a biter, he constantly attacks our other cat and is driving him crazy. We have tried the water bottle, spanking his little butt, yelling at him, time out. You can't catch him when he's doing wrong because the little devil is so quick. Help. On the other hand he can be so loving you would think we had 2 different cats.

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats age? Intact or altered? How long have you had him? Same for your other cat. Always been this way? Any big changes in life?

tkaner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How big is he and how big and old is the other cat? How mean is he? Is there a lot of meowing, growling, hissing? Does the other cat get to eat, use the litter box, etc...?

I have a big one and a little one and the large one is always chasing, pouncing and stealing food. However, he does let the little one in sometimes.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sounds like he just needs some socialization training.

A little more information will allow us to help you better.

How old are the cats? How long have the each been in the home? Are they both spayed/neutered?

How often do you play with them?

What's his history?

Please stop "spanking" him. Hitting a cat, besides being just wrong, does not teach the cat anything except to either fear you or become aggressive to you.

There are plenty of people here with much experience in socializing cats. It takes work, patience and consistency. We can help you and your cat.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LISA4502

We have tried the water bottle, spanking his little butt, yelling at him, time out.
None of this works BTW, and only makes matters worst....

To all the questions the others have asked, is he declawed? How young was he when he came to live with you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa4502

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The older cat is 5yrs old. The bad cat is 4 months old.
Both are males, both are fixed. Neither are declawed.
We play with the bad boy alot. He has tons of toys. My husband yells at me all the time because I am always buying the baby new toys. The bad boy came to live with us at 7weeks. He's such a loving little thing when he wants to be but when it comes to the other cat he is constantly pouncing on him. He chases him constantly. The wailing that Jingles (big cat) makes us both cringe because it sounds like he's getting hurt. Jingles has taken to hiding our bed at nite. He's never at ease anymore unless the cat isn't around. I've had cats all my life and never had this issue. I know he would get euthanized if I gave him up. When I got him fixed he bit the vet. So I am willing to try anything. But I don't want my other cat to live the rest of his life miserable either.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is no such thing as a BAD cat. He is a baby with the energy and playfulness of a baby. He simply wants to have fun. Sounds like he needs to learn some manners and unfortunately he was taken from his mother and littermates at a crucial age and did not learn some of the things he would have otherwise.

Our boys play and the screeching would make you think someone is being murdered. Your older cat is leary and not used to having a companion, it can take time to adjust.

You need to make sure the older cat is being given the opportunity to eat in peace and use his litterbox without the distraction of the kitten. He needs to find his "comfort zone" again. We adopted a kitten when our cat was 6 years old, the transition was rocky at first, but they ultimately became fast friends, they spent 12 years together. Both of them are gone to the bridge now.

Good luck.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's not bad. He's a kitten who has never been socialized properly. His behavior is perfectly normal. Toys don't mean anything if he isn't getting the proper attention and training from you, the kitten needs structured attention from you. You need to play with him every day, at least four times a day for half an hour at a time, at the same times.

Cats thrive on routine. This will help him feel more settled, help him burn off some of that energy and give the 5 year old cat a break.

You need to engage him in games that get him running jumping and climbing. When the kitten goes to bite, distract him with a toy. NEVER use your hands as toys. Always have a toy in your hand. Carry some toys or crumpled up papers with you as you do your house hold chores and when he comes running, BEFORE he goes after your ankles, toss a toy for him to chase down.

When he tries to bite during petting or playing, even when you are using a toy, stop the petting or playing and turn your back on him for a minute or two. Resume the game, and if he bites again, stop and turn your back again.

It will take him time to learn what you are teaching him. He is a baby, he will not immediately realize you are stopping the game or petting because he bit you.

But you have to be absolutely consistent with this. Every time he bites, say NO! (use name) (don't yell, just speak firmly or even yelp so he knows it hurt you) stop and turn your back.

Kittens can get over stimulated easily. Learn his signals. When you are playing with him and you see his ears go back, or his eyes get all big and black and wild, or he fixes his eyes on your arm or other body part, or his back begins to twitch and ripple, or his tail lashes...all these are signs the kitten is getting over stimulated.

To help him learn control and have success in him training, stop the activity BEFORE he bites. Step away and wait for her to calm down, then praise her for not biting.

Kittens need a lot of attention and training to grow up to be healthy happy well adjusted cats. It's totally worth it but it takes time and patience and consistency and love.

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

Tt. He is a baby with the energy and playfulness of a baby.
Just simple give the the 4 month old cat toys (homemade one such as paper bags, and commercial ones like cat nip toys), ideally a cat tree, and lots of interactive toys. By interactive toys I mean fishing pole toys that you will play with the four month old kitten with.

As for the kitten biting you get a product called Bitter Apple and put that on your hands when you are around the four month old kitten. That will discourage him from biting.

You can also try behavioral redirection such a putting a toy in his mouth when he bites you. Also do not use your hand as a "toy".

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by anita1216

There is no such thing as a BAD cat. He is a baby with the energy and playfulness of a baby. He simply wants to have fun. Sounds like he needs to learn some manners and unfortunately he was taken from his mother and littermates at a crucial age and did not learn some of the things he would have otherwise.
Originally Posted by otto

He's not bad. He's a kitten who has never been socialized properly. His behavior is perfectly normal.
He is just a baby who needs some teaching a lots of love.... This happens very often when kittens are taken away from mommas too soon - the ideal age would be around 12 weeks... He missed on learning how to behave... Now you need to teach him.
Be careful with what you do though - spanking, water spraying and yelling will just make matters worst, make him aggressive, shy and forever tarnish your relationship with him.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LISA4502

The older cat is 5yrs old. The bad cat is 4 months old.
Both are males, both are fixed. Neither are declawed.
We play with the bad boy alot. He has tons of toys. My husband yells at me all the time because I am always buying the baby new toys. The bad boy came to live with us at 7weeks. He's such a loving little thing when he wants to be but when it comes to the other cat he is constantly pouncing on him. He chases him constantly. The wailing that Jingles (big cat) makes us both cringe because it sounds like he's getting hurt. Jingles has taken to hiding our bed at nite. He's never at ease anymore unless the cat isn't around. I've had cats all my life and never had this issue. I know he would get euthanized if I gave him up. When I got him fixed he bit the vet. So I am willing to try anything. But I don't want my other cat to live the rest of his life miserable either.
4 months old is extremely young, just approaching the 'terrible teens' in human years. Separated from his mom and siblings at 7 weeks means that he has had no physical interaction that would instill the physical boundaries of another's space. Basically your fast growing, high energy kitten is looking for a playmate, but your older kitty maybe feeling overwhelmed by this.
It is unfair to call the youngster anything other then he is, which is a kitten looking to play and sometimes rough house like any 4 month old kitten will. You shouldn't give him up for this, he simply is being a kitten.
Keep giving the youngster extra playtime I would also consider separating them at night if you feel the older one is being over aggressively 'pounced' on at night. The 'wailing' you hear Jingles make is more likely to be a vocal call out of respect my personal space to the kitten. If and when the kitten doesn't respect this, then Jingles will take the next step which would be to hiss and bat the little one when he runs up on him. All this is normal...... You can't shake a baby for crying

crystalkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just have to say Otto's advice is very good.

We found a TINY kitten once, raised it on a bottle, and had terrible issues when he was a few months old. I had always been a dog person and no idea how to deal with him! I went online and got much of the same advice Otto gave (especially to stop playing, fold your arms, and turn your back when he bites). I must say it worked wonders. That and getting him BIG toys, his own size and larger stuffed animals, to play with.

He grew to be the most wonderful cat. Crystal is my lovey kitty and I adore her, but Raiden was my buddy. He used to make the rounds with me doing animal chores, and hide in the bushes ahead of me, waiting for me to walk by so he could dance out on his hind legs and "ambush" me with a hug ... No claws. Then he'd jump in my arms when all the animals were locked up at night and snuggle. I miss him sooo much.

Please don't give up on your kitty. I'm glad I didn't give up on mine. Like yours, he was just a playful kitten with zero kitty social skills.

huyi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my boy bast was a nightmare as a kitten, it dosn't mean I abandon him, he is nearly 2 years old now and still misbehaves bless his little heart