Bad Breath

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I have a 10 month old kitten, and he has seriously bad breath. It took him a long time to have hard poops. I wonder if this has something to do with his breath. When his poop was soft and forming a flat pile, the vet had me give him a probiotic and some white medication to give him. That's when his poop turned harder. (Sorry to use the word "poop" so much.) Although his poops are not always formed and hard, they are no longer coming out in the flat pile. Does anyone know if bad breath is related to his bm's? Please let me know. Or should I take him to the vet for this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, and when his poop turned harder, his breath seemed to get better back then.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
hi! I know that usually bad breath is related to dental issues, however in my experience an unhappy or outright upset tummy can cause bad breath.
You could call the vet rather than actually going in and speak with them about what's going on, to see what they say.
I think if it was me I'd try a food change - is your furbaby on wet food? Can you try a different brand?

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! Theo's teeth have been checked and per the vet, they are in good shape.
I feed both my cats Merrick Purrfect Paws wet cat food. It took me a long time to find this food for them, and they both really seem to like it. There were so many that they didn't like.
Do you have any recommendations for another brand?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm, what about Fancy Feast or Nutro Max kitten, just to try and see if it makes a difference?
Did you have a chance to try any toppers for your furkids?
  • Chicken or beef flavored baby food - make sure it doesn't contain any garlic or onions
  • Tuna and/or the juice
  • Salmon
  • Sardines (make sure there are no bones)
  • boiled cut up chicken or turkey with no seasonings
  • try heating the food a little bit - be sure and stir it to eliminate any hot spots
  • Try mixing in Kitten Milk Replacer or kitten glop - there are recipes on the internet
  • Lickable cat treats or pouch treat gravy poured over the food - pouch foods also typically have more gravy - at 10 months they'll likely be ok with a little adult food
  • goat milk, or low/no lactose cow milk
  • whole cooked eggs (both yolk and white)
  • broth with no salt and no garlic or onion or seasonings of any kind

LisaT.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I used to feed my cats Fancy Feast. But my 5 yr old doesn't care for it very much. It could be because I didn't give them the pate. I can try that again.
Hmm, I haven't given them any of the other food on your list. I'll try some tuna tonight. Thanks, Furballsmom!! :)