Bad breath

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is about 1.5 years old and I brush her teeth at least 3 times a week with CET. The vet said her teeth looked great at her least visit 2 months ago but she has really stinky breath. My 15 yr old cat doesn't have dragon breath like this one. Does anyone have any tips or products they use that are safe for cats?

captain dave

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bad breath can be the result of many things, depending on what it smells like. Anything from gingivitis to an infected tooth to a morsel of food wedged somewhere between molars and creating a rotten smell to the fact that maybe she likes rooting through the compost bin when you're not around to diabetes can be the culprit, so it's best to bring this information up to your vet and let her/him ask the pertinent questions.

Tartar buildup can also be a common culprit, so maybe something for her to chew on to reduce any plaque buildup that you may have missed? My cat likes to gnaw on a piece of heavy-duty paracord as her "kitty floss", but I don't recommend this to just anyone (my cats are boat cats and are around weird things).

Let us know what you find out, and best of luck in slaying that dragon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will check her mouth to see if anything is lodged in there. That should be fun considering brushing her teeth is a chore! I'll find something for her to chew on until I get her into the vet. Thanks for the tips!

rita-rabbit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
what about feeding?  my tabby had problems with furballs & constipation. since stopping feeding dried food & incorparating raw (50/50 raw & tinned) her breath doesnt reek like it did