Back or Spine looks to be sinking in, is this a genetic trait?

markman777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I noticed my neighbors cat, a black domestic cat, has a sagging low spine/back. My cat is a black cat as well but is half bombay. Her posture is very straight. Is the slopping back a genetic trait of a certain breed? The best way to explain it is she looks like a tiger. The back spine sinks in from a profile view. Please let me know what you think.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An oriental type of build might appear that way. If the cat is more rounded with a sunken spine, it might be genetic or injury or something. Does the cat seem to have any problems moving; e.g. jumping, climbing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

markman777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems to run and play just fine. They are very feral so I cant get close enough to examine. The cats littermate also has the same spine shape. It is a brownish grey color but has black circle shapes in its fur. They call it target because of the pattern. The mother also has the same pattern. I have never seen anyting like it. Almost looks like a bengal breed mixed with something else.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

markman777

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i believe it's behind the shoudler blades.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If its a little dip behind the shoulder blades it could be a leftover sign that the cat was flat-chested when it was born. However if its any length of the spine then it is something else. My girl Hope was born flat-chested and grew out of it (they usually die) and survivors usually only show a dip behind the shoulder blades.

semiferal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

If its a little dip behind the shoulder blades it could be a leftover sign that the cat was flat-chested when it was born. However if its any length of the spine then it is something else. My girl Hope was born flat-chested and grew out of it (they usually die) and survivors usually only show a dip behind the shoulder blades.
I had two FCK kittens in a litter this spring and they both had this. When I took them to the vet when they were 2 weeks old she was actually kind of puzzled by this and wondered if it meant there was something else going on, but as it turned out they outgrew the flat chest and you would never know they ever had a problem, except that you can still feel the dip between their shoulders.