Back leg issue with 15 year old cat

brittpatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
It's been awhile since I've been here. My baby has been doing very well with her kidney disease. She's 15, just under 8 pounds and is happy. My husband and I were giving her fluids the other night and when the needle went in she she acted strange. She put her head down and just held it the entire time; which is not normal. Then, after the fluids were done, he pulled out the needle and she did her standard jump over my shoulder towards the door of the bathroom. A few minutes later I noticed she was walking strange. She started limping and crying as she walked. It's been 24 hours and she is still in pain. We've identified the issue is with her right back leg. She is still eating but just seems incredibly sad. She limps a bit when she walks and has limited energy. I'm just lost as to how she got injured during something we do every two nights. I'm waiting one more day to take her to the vet since she hates it so much and I don't think her leg is broken since she is not dragging it. Any advice is so much appreciated.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww. I know you are worried. I’d say a call to the vet or visit is in order. My first thought after reading this is that she may have strained a muscle while tensing up during fluids. I’ve had to give fluids too and my older girl was as tense as could be during each bag. I can easily picture a strained or pulled something. Maybe some pain meds will be in order? Since this is not her normal nature, definitely ask the vet. Cats don’t like to show pain so she may need something to help her through. Hopefully she will be better by morning. Please post back and let us know.

relienna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,
It's been awhile since I've been here. My baby has been doing very well with her kidney disease. She's 15, just under 8 pounds and is happy. My husband and I were giving her fluids the other night and when the needle went in she she acted strange. She put her head down and just held it the entire time; which is not normal. Then, after the fluids were done, he pulled out the needle and she did her standard jump over my shoulder towards the door of the bathroom. A few minutes later I noticed she was walking strange. She started limping and crying as she walked. It's been 24 hours and she is still in pain. We've identified the issue is with her right back leg. She is still eating but just seems incredibly sad. She limps a bit when she walks and has limited energy. I'm just lost as to how she got injured during something we do every two nights. I'm waiting one more day to take her to the vet since she hates it so much and I don't think her leg is broken since she is not dragging it. Any advice is so much appreciated.
I would definitely have the Vet look at her if she is still acting the same tomorrow. (I'm a Vet Tech)
I'm inclined to say that the fluids are not related the the back leg - unless, like the person said above, she overly tensed up during the procedure or when she jumped away she pulled something. I know that dogs with kidney disease can have bone issues due to calcium levels, but I'm not sure if the same can/does happen with cats. Since she lowered her head and acted strange before the limping was noted it could also be that she tweaked a nerve - nerve pain can follow the neck all the way through the sciatic area.

Either way, if her symptoms are still present tomorrow I would take her to the vet just to be on the safe side since she is an older girl with health issues.

I hope she feels better and good luck, friend! :) <3