Back leg bald patch? Pic included.

scarlettleia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have any idea what this could be? We just noticed it a few minutes ago. She doesn't seem to be in any pain, is walking normally, doesn't mind if it's touched etc. She was charging around like a mad thing earlier today so is it likely she's just hit her leg on something?

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! To me, it looks like a previous wound that has healed. Is she indoor only? Could be something she got from being outside otherwise. Have you checked locations in your house that could cause a possible small puncture wound like that? Maybe she caught her leg on a cat tree or perch that is breaking apart.

If there is no swelling and the area doesn't start to look inflamed or infection, I would just watch it. Also, keep an eye on the rest of her legs/body to ensure no other spots like that show up, just in case it could be some sort of microorganism that spreads. Also, watch her for excessive licking/scratching of that area.

Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlettleia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! To me, it looks like a previous wound that has healed. Is she indoor only? Could be something she got from being outside otherwise. Have you checked locations in your house that could cause a possible small puncture wound like that? Maybe she caught her leg on a cat tree or perch that is breaking apart.

If there is no swelling and the area doesn't start to look inflamed or infection, I would just watch it. Also, keep an eye on the rest of her legs/body to ensure no other spots like that show up, just in case it could be some sort of microorganism that spreads. Also, watch her for excessive licking/scratching of that area.

Keep us posted!
Thank you! She's an indoor cat and we've definitely not noticed any wound or anything. She's not reclusive at all so I feel like we would have noticed if she had a proper wound, at least! She has been rolling around on a new blanket which is quite rough and textured though, so I guess it could be possible that it's friction burn? We'll keep an eye on it at any rate, she doesn't seem at all bothered by it!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Check the new blanket over for anything that might be in it that she could have sat on, etc. Maybe a staple from a tag, or a rough wire that they sometimes use with tags - things of that nature?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scarlettleia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Huh. New update. We've just noticed she's got exactly the same on the other leg. Nowhere else, but in the same spot on both sides. The skin isn't overly red or anything, but there's just two mostly bald spots, the skin on which look a little dry, and it looks like the fur around it has crushed a little. I'm guessing as it's so much in the same place, it's probably not bacterial or fungal, but that she's friction burning herself on something.. I'm going to pop some sudacreme on them and give the house a once over for things she might have rubbed against. Never been a problem before in the 3 years she's been with us!

Attachments