Babygates In The Bronx

ExoticCatnip149

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

First, finding this site was a god send, as you all have been so helpful and supportive. It really makes all the difference.

I have some new developments in the reintroduction saga between my cat tribe...babygates...yes, babygates. 3 to be exact and all stacked on top of each other. Took some engineering to get it to fit right but it seems to be holding. It also gives the two with the rift full view of each other. No negative reaction to each other through the gate even when the one being put in the back tries to break out. Now I don't know if they're silently taunting each other but, I could just be projecting, lol. Seriously though, it's holding up despite the mercury retrograde, and this is pleasing.

My girl Cassie the calico really hates being separated from me and her protests and attempts at freedom have landed her a boo boo on her nose. That's when I have to put her in the bathroom - it's small but hey, it's better than a cage. However, last night, I put Frankie in the back with her (the 3rd and neutral kittie of the bunch) and didn't even have to put her in the bathroom. It seemed to calm her so tonight, she gets Frankie as a roommate again. He didn't take it too bad either.

I've also been alternating putting Cassie & Roo in the carrier for up to a half hour while the other roams free and gets to smell the other up close. Since there was no reaction from either, regardless of who was inside, I started opening the flap while sitting between them and petting and reassuring. They come up close, smell each other and then I close the flap and put them back. There was this one time last week where I opened the carrier and Cassie walked out. I was playing with Roo a few feet away and he was cool for a minute. Once he got up and came over to her though, she hissed. That didn't deter him and he kept approaching, so she started growling and then poof went his tail. I didn't let him get to her and put him back in isolation. So close.

I feel that this is progress and I'm keeping at it, but at some point, I will have to see how she'd react....the both of them really, when loose. I just don't want to take ANY steps backwards. I'm doing all of this solo and in a studio apartment...so there have been many challenges to overcome.

Do any of you have any more tips to help this along?

- thanks for reading!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
From what I'm reading, you're doing it all right, and things are moving along. Just don't try to rush it this close to success! Thank you for your patience during a time made even more trying due to a small apartment! Hand in there! We can now pretty much say that the light at the end of the tunnel is NOT an on-coming train!