Baby/toddler/kids Books

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

I have been invited to a Baby Shower for my cousin's daughter. A request was included with the invitation, to bring a favorite book. Since I am so far removed from little ones; I have no idea on these books..

I need HELP! I need recommendations.

I would appreciate any help..
I know the classics will be scooped up immediately: GoodNight Moon, Dr Seuss, etc...

My other cousin is also a grammar school teacher and goes overboard with kids books.. She is the Godmother of the expectant mom...
So....
I really do need help!!

Thanks

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I absolutely love this children's book by Robert Munsch - Love You Forever. Love You Forever
One of my daughter's elementary school teachers recommended it and I have given it to so many friends and relatives who were expecting or had a toddler.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lari Lari and MoochNNoodles MoochNNoodles might have suggestions on baby / toddler books.

I think you could even do something like Charlotte's Web or Stuart Little or any book a baby will eventually "grow" into. Maybe try these suggested "young reader" lists:

Kids' Books To Read Again, And Again, And Again, And Again, And Again, And ...

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I replied in the other thread, but my son could not get enough Dr. Seuss when he was that age.
His favorite was One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish.
Plus, they're short and easy to read.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ok still thinking: The Monster at the End of This Book. The Day the Crayons Quit, Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Barnyard Dance (this was DD's first favorite...I probably know it by heart still...), Go Dog Go, The Gruffalo.

Goodnight Moon is a generational favorite here. Brown Bear Brown Bear too. The Giving Tree.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love love love On The Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman. I get misty when I read it to J.

It's not a board book, but you can't go wrong with Pete the Cat I Love My White Shoes.

I also love the Babylit series, and J loves this book called Car Car Truck Jeep by Katrina Charman that you sing to the tune of Baa Baa Black Sheep.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm pretty sure we still have them because they were "well loved". I gave away most of our "baby" board books (except my favorites) but I know I didn't give away the more beat up stuff. I still have 2 bookshelves full of books. One is for school and the stuff we got from Dolly Parton's.

I also have a ton of Usborne non-fiction books. DS preferred those to fiction stories from a young age. He reads fiction now; but he'll sit for ages with a nonfiction book about whatever hes interested in.

Usborne has really great stuff. We liked the Shine-A-Light series when they were little. Secrets of the Vegetable Garden was so cute! You use a flashlight or little light to look through the pages. I am seeing a lot more nonfiction for little kids these days. I love it!

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Giving Tree
The Napping House
Where the Wild Things Are
Anything by Sandra Boynton
Anything by Eric Carle
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie

All are popular with toddlers and preschoolers, though The Giving Tree and Where the Wild Things might be loved into the grade school years.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I am a Bunny Amazon.com : i am a bunny

It's a particular favorite of mine because, when I bought it for Graham (our son), he adored it. He had me read to him so much that he had it memorized. And he could "read" it to us, pretty much word for word. It blew away one of our friends; when he came to visit, Graham was sitting on the couch, "reading" the book. Until I told Bill to look at the book. And Graham was holding it upside-down. :lol: He dearly loved that book. I gave another copy of it to Caleb, our grandson, and he loved it, too. And when Sarah, our granddaughter, was born, she got her very own copy.

It's cute.