baby kitten with broken diaphragm?

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 3 baby kittens(3 weeks old) were diagonsed 4 days ago with some respiratory infections and had been given antibiotics for 3 days. Yesterday( the 3rd day), we went for their last shot and noticed and unusual behaviour in one of them. We just assumed that he was sicker than the others and needed more shots but today the vet told us that he has a broken diaphragm and nothing can be done at such a young age. He breathes abnormally, more with his stomach i dont know how to explain it, he also coughs. He seems like he eats, but we will keep a close look on him to see for sure. They told us that maybe he fell, but that absolutely didnt happen because we would have seen it or heard it. The problem is that I dont trust this vet 100%, they have missdiagnosed my pets countless times, but we keep taking them there just because its closer to our home( we live in a village away from the city). I plan on going tomorrow in the city for a second look. But what if thats true...I dont think I can handle it. I need my baby to survive. I took care of them and fed them while their mother was recovering from c-section( it was a complicated birth..the vet told us they were lucky to be alive) And i really need them to stay that way... Is it true that they cant do anything at 3 weeks old? Is he too weak? Is the operation really necessary or maybe they can give him some meds.. I really dont know what to do, I cant believe my baby is going..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a little update..he doesnt eat, he cant sleep..he is really agitated. I dont dont think he will live much longer. He started breathing on his mouth too.. I dont know what to do, now im really starting to believe there s nothing I can do..

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get that second opinion. Instead of a fall he may have had trouble during that difficult delivery. It’s possible that something else is going on. Perhaps ,as you first thought, sicker than the others. If you know there have been incorrect diagnosis on other animals, maybe something else can be done. Hold onto hope and keep letting the baby feel your love and the hope. We’ll be sending hope too. :hugs: If he cannot eat and you get worried about getting him to the vet, a little Karo syrup or honey can be rubbed on his gums to give him some extra strength.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are experiencing this with your baby. I hope your vet can help on Monday. To keep him alive it is vital that you maintain his blood sugar level. That can be done by rubbing some honey onto his gums. Can you use a dropper to get some food into him?

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello, thank you for your kind words and your help <3. I tried rubbing honey onto his gums, he liked it lol. I believed that he wasnt eating at first just because I wasnt catching him doing so, but he is eating right now and that brings me joy..he is stronger than he seems, apart from the heavy breathing( i know thats a burden), he eats and walks normally. I just hope they wont give me a negative response at the second vet too and we will eventually have to put him down, because he just looks like he tries so much..I will take him after lunch( now its 8 AM) because I have so much work to do. I cant believe this lined up so wrong, yesterday all the vets were closed anyway after 12AM and now I have the busiest day of the week, maybe its not meant to be:(

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
I'm wondering whether it's flat chest syndrome or pectus excavatum. Does his chest seem an odd shape.. either very flat at the front or the ribs curve inwards at the centre?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is eating and the honey on his gums seemed to perk him up, maybe he just needed a bit of a boost. Sometimes a lack of something in their system can cause breathing irregularities. The honey can help get them functioning better and then they start eating again, become better hydrated and recover. Hoping that the kitten is improving!

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We went to the second vet today. They told us he has nothing “broken”, just a really severe case of respiratory virus. She listened to his little lungs, weighted him and give him some shots, saying that the treatment should be for about 7 days and the other vet should have known so..
After he ate at 8AM today( now it’s really late 12 PM), I don’t know if i have seen him eat from his mother at all..Maybe the shots had something to do with that? I kept giving him honey. His tummy doesn’t seem that empty though, I like to hope that maybe I didn’t see it.
Also, since yesterday his gums started to turn purple-ish, now I don’t know if that’s the case or it is just hope, but they aren’t that purple. Also he doesn’t breathe that much with his mouth now, maybe it’s because of the nasal spray she gave him.
I pray that he will be ok and will have the strength to continue his treatment and after a week I’ll post his pic and say “my baby made it” :)

andrayolo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Update he sadly passed away..I found him right now. I just woke up so I can’t comprehend properly what’s just happened. I know it may sound weird but it was nice to see him not suffer and not struggle for his every breath. He was truly too small, but if we started the treatment that one day he got worse, instead of getting the wild guess about his diaphragm, maybe that would have made a difference? Or he would have struggled more and the end would have been the same..I ll try not to think about it too much even if I am a big thinker when it comes to “What if”. Thanks anyways
6677336B-FE20-4DF6-BC01-B19F9FB8BCBA.jpeg

even if he didn’t maked, I posted a picture that was taken about 1.5 weeks ago. You can see how small he was even then..he was the one in the middle

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry. It’s often the way of nature that when a little one is having a tough time, they are given relief and taken back to where they can be in comfort again. You did everything possible and the care you gave relieved the distress. Although the honey could not restore , it surely made the baby feel much better. It tasted good and went striaight into the system to help. You have done so very much for the mom and kittens. Thank you for being there to give them vet care, security, keeping them from the fear of outside, and providing the comfort of the love they felt from you. :grouphug2: Our hearts are with you.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry.
Although this not the outcome that any of us wanted, I want to thank you for taking such good care of this little baby. You took such an interest in this little guy and made him realize the meaning of love. No kitten could have asked for more.