Baby gate failure

noisette

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just installed the baby gate to the spare room that Meeko is in so that he can see Monty and feel less secluded. Its a 3 foot baby gate so its pretty tall. I finished installing it and went downstairs. by the time I got to the landing Mr. Meeko was loving on my legs!
he climbed out! We put it up a little higher so that he cant crawl under and its a bigger hike to climb over. Didn't help so much. I got to the living room before he pounced on my leg and started to wrestle.

We took the gate out and shut the door again and now he's bawling. Should I just let him out? I've spent 3 hours in the room playing with him this morning and I need to do some house work. But I feel terrible about leaving him in there. I'd switch them out, but Monty adjusting and trying to get the courage to go downstairs because he smells Meeko down there still. Meeko's jail break has Monty hiding behind the toilet again and I can't have Monty being terrorized, But I hate keeping the Meekster in the room.... What am I going to do with my little loves?

Any ideas?

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What I do is buy one of those cheap wood screen doors at a big box store. Put it on the room the cat is in. Yes, you end up putting holes in the trim for the screws, but they can be filled in and painted. Use a hook and eye on each side.

Leave enough room under it so they can play "footsie". This way, no one is shut in and they can see eachother and interact safely.

It might be a bit hard to find a screen door this time of year, but I would think they would be somewhere. If you are handy, build one yourself. Just watch that the screening is not being pulled out. I always replace any screens in my home with clawproof.

This may help....I hope so.