Baby/cat scale calibration problems

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I have a baby scale for weighing cats. It's very similar to this: Amazon.com

What I am confused about is: how do I calibrate it with only a Unit and On/Off button? I no longer have the instructions and the unit has no model or brand on it so I have no clue what to even look up.

It's telling me a 5-lb weight weighs 0.88lb so something is obviously very wrong. I changed the batteries and I've been pushing buttons trying to figure it out but I'm at a total loss here. Anyone else have a similar scale or know how to do this?

Mods, I wasn't sure which forum this fits in so I went for it. feel free to move if I chose wrong!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is defective, and I would replace it. I had one that could not repeatedly weigh 'test' items accurately either, and over time, it turned out to be way off. I don't know how long ago you got yours, or how much you paid for it, but if you don't have the proper receipts and manufacturer information, you aren't going to get anywhere.

This is the one I currently have, and it seems very, very accurate.
Amazon.com: Greater Goods Smart Baby Scale - Accurately Chart The Progress of Your Baby | with in-House Algorithm for Wiggly Babies | Works as Infant & Toddler Scale (Smart Bluetooth Connected) : Baby

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, the bottom just has the battery compartment. Nothing! I know I've calibrated it before but I cannot remember how...I feel like such an idiot!

Thanks for the recommendation FeebysOwner FeebysOwner ! I'll look into ordering that one when I can.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did run across this on the internet - maybe try it.
If there is no "CAL" button, try pressing the "Mode" or "Unit" button on your scale repeatedly until the letters "CAL" show up on the display. Release the button. The display will show the exact weight needed for calibration. Place the proper weight on the scale's tray. The display may blink as the scale calibrates. When the calibration process is complete, the scale should display "Pass" or "P" if the calibration was successful, and "Fail" or "F" if the calibration was unsuccessful. If the calibration was not successful, turn the scale off and back on, and repeat. If the calibration is still unsuccessful, the basic calibration process cannot be completed. That is when you would have to refer to the manufacturer's instructions or contact them for assistance.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sidneykitty

Foster mama
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you!! I had no luck with that, unfortunately. I don't know who the manufacturer is - there's no label on it and I don't remember where I got it from.

However the good news is - I needed to weigh foster kittens and I managed to find a small scale sufficient to monitor their weight for right now! And I'll look at a new baby scale for future adult cat weights. :)

thank you all for the thoughts and advice!!