Baby Cat Ran Away, Found but wont come out of hiding area

tikitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've written on this site before asking people's opinion on what breed my cat looks like and how old he looks...now I'm here to say something sad.

Our kitten ran way 2 nights ago. He just turned 1 years old, 26 days ago (yes, I have a counter on my phone!). Our life is a bit hectic so I've had to travel back and forth from the country we live in and the US. We haven't gotten the chance to neuter him yet and I was planning on trying when I returned to our home. It's very difficult to get animal help were we are from because they aren't as "advanced" in some areas as America is. When our love first made his appearence, he was about 5 months old. I know that would have been the best time to neuter him but we went to a vet and this man actually said, "Shots don't exist here". So we couldn't even get him vaccinated. The vet just gave my husband some medicine drops for fleas and pills to rid his body of any parasites. I found out he was also very sick with some sort of cold. I was convinced he had feline herpesvirus because his eyes kept forming globs of squishy stuff. He would constantly squint because I think his eyes were irritated. He also sneezed a few times. Maybe he just had cat allergies, I don't know. I cleaned him as best as I could just from how dirty he was from living outside. I kept after wiping his eyes and nose. I even cleaned out his inner, wax covered ears. I had to lightly scrub the dirt out of the fur on the outer parts of his ears and still there is dirt on his chin that is so hard to remove. Thinking about it now makes me want to cry, honestly. He's still so little and cute. He's 100% better since then and he hasn't had any requiring eye irritation. When we just met him, he was mostly relaxed and not scared at all (he walked right into our house without any persuasion!). As he grew up, he started becoming crazyzyzyzy and running everywhere and getting in trouble, you know, normal kitten stuff. But ow to the current problem, because of the fact he hasn't been neutered, he's been getting really overly excited. What I mean is, he started to realize there are other cats outside so he started meowing constantly, hoping he could go outside to see the other cats. He started spraying a bit also and I told my husband to pay attention as much as possible to stop him before he did it a lot. That part has been going okay. But two days ago, my husband was about to go out the door and this tricky kitten went from resting in his bed, to sprinting out of the door. It was in the middle of the night so it was difficult to do any intense searching right away. I just knew that cats know what they and their owners smell like so he could probably figure out his way home, our job would be to keep a look out to actually let him in. A girl I went to school with had her cat go missing for a month but return...so I was hopeful. I read something today that I wish I would have read 2 days ago...indoor cats who escape usually find a hide out close to home. :| WELL, it turns out, this is one of those situations! My husband spotted him today a few feet from out house! I was so happy until I saw the picture my husband sent me. Our kitten is hiding out in an area that's blocked off from the sides and only accessible from this little opening that has a long drop. There is no way for my husband to get in there. We're just hoping our kitten jumps out. I was worried he was stuck and just ran in there because he was afraid but I think he can get out. The only problem is, I think he's so scared. But his actions are a part of his little wild side too. I don't know if he thinks it's a game or he's actually scared but he wont come out for his normal mouse on a string toy. He put some food out for him but he just ate it a little and before my husband could grab him, he went back in! I'm hoping and praying that he stays in there overnight so when my husband wakes up he can go back and try to get him out before he runs somewhere and is really gone forever. I told my husband to be patient and don't do any sudden movements. At this point, we know we'll just have to wait for him to jump out but I reallyyyy hope he doesn't run somewhere else. We can't put food out over night because there's TONS of stray dogs and they will come and they might scare him or injure him. This is so hard for me because I'm not there to help. I was going back in just a few more weeks. I bought him all these cool things too because we want to hopefully bring him with us to America someday so I bought an awesome cat carrier (I'd sleep in it if I could! looks comfortable) and I bought him a good harness and leash so I can hold onto him while they check his stuff in the security line. I got him some more toys too and some cat treats. I'm not a cat/animal dressing person but I got him this little Germany soccer jersey and a little shirt that says "Security" because that's so silly to me for some reason. 

Any suggestions??? Even if there's no advice, I just needed to write this somewhere. 

Aw, this cat kind of looks like him!  he was moving too much <3

before I got to thoroughly clean him 

I think he had a cat revelation :D

I thought he was sitting extra cute so I had to take a picture xD

Too much gaming <3

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you are back and forth to America, you can easily get shots and give them yourself when you get home.  There are also vaccines that are drops that do not have to be injected but instead are dropped into the eyes and nose.  You can buy them at a Tractor Supply store if there are any near you, or at many feed stores.  You can also order them online.  They do have to be refrigerated at all times, but you could carry them in a small ice pack while traveling.

Neutering is extremely important if you want your guy to come home and be an inside cat.  He is now at the age when his instincts are telling him to o looking for love, and he will get into trouble.  If you don't neuter him before bringing him back in, he is likely to spray, and his urine will smell strong (that changes when they are neutered).  The longer he is out, the more his wild side will show up, so the sooner you catch him, the better.  There are ways to make simple traps -- just google "simple cat trap" and perhaps you can lure him out with food and drop the trap down over him.  You have not posted where you live in your profile, but its possible we can help you find a spay-neuter clinic or vet near you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tikitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are back and forth to America, you can easily get shots and give them yourself when you get home.  There are also vaccines that are drops that do not have to be injected but instead are dropped into the eyes and nose.  You can buy them at a Tractor Supply store if there are any near you, or at many feed stores.  You can also order them online.  They do have to be refrigerated at all times, but you could carry them in a small ice pack while traveling.

Neutering is extremely important if you want your guy to come home and be an inside cat.  He is now at the age when his instincts are telling him to o looking for love, and he will get into trouble.  If you don't neuter him before bringing him back in, he is likely to spray, and his urine will smell strong (that changes when they are neutered).  The longer he is out, the more his wild side will show up, so the sooner you catch him, the better.  There are ways to make simple traps -- just google "simple cat trap" and perhaps you can lure him out with food and drop the trap down over him.  You have not posted where you live in your profile, but its possible we can help you find a spay-neuter clinic or vet near you.
Thanks for replying!

He's back! He was meowing outside of our door and my husband got him back inside with some food. Great 4th of July surprise!

Last edited:

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feline Focus 3 is the vaccine drops.  Tractor Supply carries it in their stores but probably not online.  Actually I do think some of the online vet supply places also carry it online.  These are the drops, no injection required.  You mix the liquid with the dry and then use the dropper provided to put some of the mixture in each eye and in the nostrils.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Are you planning on relocating to the States? If so, getting the vaccines done by a licensed vet may be a requirement.(?)

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've found this list of vets if that's any help. No reviews or personal recommendations though, but it might give you a place to start. This article might help you know what to look for/what questions to ask when checking potential vets out:-[article="22404"][/article]

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can identify totally with you as I lived in B&H for 10 years, then came here to France 10 years ago. While I was there (in Sarajevo) I had a terrible time finding a good vet, although it was not difficult to find one that would give routine vaccines. Of course they exist there. But I trusted no-one until I went to the vet department at the University of Sarajevo, who have an animal clinic that is very good. The private vets I went to before were interested in nothing but my money, and kept trying to give tests and medicines that were totally unnecessary while ignoring underlying and sometimes life-threatening conditions. I know it is a distance from Bugojno, but it would in my opinion be worth going to Sarajevo. I eventually got good help there and brought 5 cats from Sarajevo back with me to France. And I remember the street dogs only too well - one of my cats was almost killed by a pack of dogs outside my house, and it was the vet from the university who saved her life.

If you need any more help PM me and I will contact some of my friends there. I know people in Tuzla and Sarajevo who might offer advice, but I really would get your kitten to Sarajevo ASAP.

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@tikitten

Hello I will pray that you are able to find a vet that can help you out...now about the microchip...it is not invasive...the chip is in a needle not very big and usually gets injected in back by shoulders...the thing about the microchip is that it must be the one that international travel recommends...I found this out for my cat to travel to France...and because we stopped in 2 different countries before France you need to follow and meet each countries requirements...it can be a bit tedious and my cat is an ESA so she gets special privileges when we are flying...most airlines require a pet passport now as well as clearance/permission papers from any country you plan on stopping in if you do not do a direct flight...please research this and get all your ducks in a row...your cat will need to be vaccinated as well before entering U.S. along with any other type of special vaccinations your country does because America may not have same type of feline issues...once again research this...I hope this is helpful and if I remember anything else I will write back....oh are you planning on getting long stsy visa to be here in the states? If so you can usually find out all the information you need to know on the website of American Embassy or General consulate. ..I will actually have to get back with you on name as it us slipping my mind at this time ok God bless[emoji]128049[/emoji][emoji]128008[/emoji][emoji]128570[/emoji]

tikitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Feline Focus 3 is the vaccine drops.  Tractor Supply carries it in their stores but probably not online.  Actually I do think some of the online vet supply places also carry it online.  These are the drops, no injection required.  You mix the liquid with the dry and then use the dropper provided to put some of the mixture in each eye and in the nostrils.
Ohhh we're looking at different things. On their website, they have the actual injection medicine.

But I did see what you're talking about in a single dose. 

tikitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has a REALLY secure zipper and the whole thing is very sturdy. It has a cute, comfortable removable bed too. It has a little opening to stick your hand in to calm the kitten down too.

I was extremely serious about this. haha It took me months to pick which one I felt was best for him. I also bought a harness, leash,

little bowl for food (with lid), little bowl for some water (with lid), some kitten treats to help him get used to it, and I don't even know what else. I went crazy! xD 

I was soo tempted to put my mom's cat in it but he really likes to put his scent on everything so I resisted. But he was very curious. I'm just keeping it in it's plastic and packed in my luggage.

Do you know if it's okay to bring closed cat treats onto a plane? I bought some that I've never opened and I want to bring them with me.

I can't find any cat treats in our local stores over there so I bought some here in the US. 

Last edited:

tikitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can identify totally with you as I lived in B&H for 10 years, then came here to France 10 years ago. While I was there (in Sarajevo) I had a terrible time finding a good vet, although it was not difficult to find one that would give routine vaccines. Of course they exist there. But I trusted no-one until I went to the vet department at the University of Sarajevo, who have an animal clinic that is very good. The private vets I went to before were interested in nothing but my money, and kept trying to give tests and medicines that were totally unnecessary while ignoring underlying and sometimes life-threatening conditions. I know it is a distance from Bugojno, but it would in my opinion be worth going to Sarajevo. I eventually got good help there and brought 5 cats from Sarajevo back with me to France. And I remember the street dogs only too well - one of my cats was almost killed by a pack of dogs outside my house, and it was the vet from the university who saved her life.

If you need any more help PM me and I will contact some of my friends there. I know people in Tuzla and Sarajevo who might offer advice, but I really would get your kitten to Sarajevo ASAP.
That's really cool! I see your job titles on your profile. :D

I really wish I could open up my own animal secure shelter there. I saw this dog who could only use 3 of her legs and the other one she had all the way up to her chest because I think it was broken or something.

Can you explain to me why they tag their ears? I was hoping it was just because they neutered them or something? I hope it's not to kill them. 

I will PM you with all my UoS questions now. lolol

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@tikitten

You shouldn't have any problems with opened or closed treats...we didn't [emoji]128568[/emoji] also that is a great carrier my only question is it airline approved? That's one thing I like about Sherpa's they are airline approved...also one thing I would recommend is start getting your baby used to the carrier so it will be less stressful how you can do that is keep it open with a treat in front and inside...that way positive reinforcement will make the carrier fun....and it will allow your baby to put his scent in/on carrier...also if you can find puppy pee pads that way if there is any kind of accident while in transit if he will be in cabin with you...you can chaneg it out...now if he's not gonna be in cabin with you...I would not recommend that carrier...you will want to get a hard carrier with a water bottle attached kind of like a hamster and a blanket inside

tikitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@tikitten

You shouldn't have any problems with opened or closed treats...we didn't [emoji]128568[/emoji] also that is a great carrier my only question is it airline approved? That's one thing I like about Sherpa's they are airline approved...also one thing I would recommend is start getting your baby used to the carrier so it will be less stressful how you can do that is keep it open with a treat in front and inside...that way positive reinforcement will make the carrier fun....and it will allow your baby to put his scent in/on carrier...also if you can find puppy pee pads that way if there is any kind of accident while in transit if he will be in cabin with you...you can chaneg it out...now if he's not gonna be in cabin with you...I would not recommend that carrier...you will want to get a hard carrier with a water bottle attached kind of like a hamster and a blanket inside
Yeah, no problems here! ^_^ I'm ready. That's why I got the treats so it can help him like the carrier more. 

I will first simply open it up and set it on the floor then when he goes in by himself, I'll give him a treat. 

Then after that, if it's been a few days later, I'll reward him with one treat. I don't want to give him too many so I'll do it for a bit and then stop for a while.

He has a bed out in our hallway so this can be his bed inside the house. Then when it's time to go, I'll be sure to talk to him to try to reassure him. 

He loves the sound of his food bag so I'll be sure to bring that for comfort! haha That's why I didn't allow my mom's cat to go near it much. I didn't want him to put his scent on it and then turn my kitten off from it. I want him to be able to put his own scent and feel like it's 100% his own. Fortunately, he wont care that it's purple! xD I bought the puppy pads a month ago too! I was too excited to wait so I went 50/50 with my mom and bought a pack of 50. Her cat pees in the corner of his litter box and it would (somehow) go through the cracks. In the end, I decided to take the top off (he's the definition of a buff tabby and too huge for a litter box with a top) and so far, no more problems. She still keeps a pad under the box though. He's messy.

I took 15 pads. I think that'll be enough?! In general, I'm treating this like I'm flying with an actual baby. I gotta be prepared. lol

People might think I'm crazy when they hear me talking to him whenever we're on the plane. It'll be great. 

This carrier is approved. I did TONS of research about it and checked out other people's experience with it. 

Thanks for the advice ^_^

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have contacted my ex-secretary in Sarajevo to ask for an update on the vet clinic and telephone number etc.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 I LOVE the carrier!!! And the shirt that says "security" sounds so cute!! What a lucky little boy your cat is :)  I am so relieved that he came out of hiding and that you are going to be able to bring him here. You certainly do your homework 
  About the only suggestion that I can add is that, when in public, if your kitty gets stressed, simply cover his cage with a large towel or baby blanket - he will feel safer because he will feel hidden - it is a cat's instinct to hide because they are often more prey than predator (just like he did when he got outside). 

I have done a lot of TNR & the wildest kitties and they like to hunker down and hide. they go from thrashing & trying to escape to instant quiet as soon as i put the towel over their trap. In fact, that is how I know that I have a true feral or just a stray because stray kitties meow to me, either in protest or asking for help. If the weather is really hot (it gets over 100 here in summer), I use a sheet instead.

& thank you for the pictures - we love 'em!

tikitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is his new sapphire collar and harness

I wanted him to have a collar so I can put our info on a little tag.

I'm thinking of going to Petsuppliesplus or Petsmart.

"feline frenzy with scratch pad"

One of his new toys! I got the green one.

We got him a scratching board but he used most of it up and tries to eat it. :|

I trim his nails with the special cat nail clippers but he's always sharpening them. :D

Actually, I researched covering the carrier also! It's a really good idea. We have a little blanket that I've given to him that I'll bring along. Ooh a sheet is a good idea. Maybe I could cut it to be smaller though so I'm not carrying around a giant sheet? "Oh this sheet? It's for my bed at home, I couldn't leave it behind!"

Thank you for the kind words. ^_^

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you soo much! I'm checking it out now. I definitely feel it's worth the trip. 
How do I find out the costs (vaccination, neutering, microchiping)?

You will have to ask them. I could not find a price list anywhere on the web site. But their costs were not excessive when I was there - less than the private vets.