Baba Kitten Got First Bath Today!

miraclecats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so proud of my Baba. We were calling him Balthazar but now shortened it to easier Baba. The vet told me he is still a kitten, probably around six months, so I thought he could easily take to getting baths. I am retired dog pet groomer and learned some while working with my partner who is still expert cat groomer.
I wanted to keep everything calm because I knew what happened today could determine how he feels about baths in the future. I didn't want any running water because the noise might scare him so ahead of time I filled a gallon and a pitcher with warm water and put them by tub. I diluted some sensitive cat/dog shampoo in a plastic bowl. I petted him and slowly poured some water on him and massaged it in and told him what a good kitty, etc...At first just slowly got him wet on back and top of head and then moved to stomach and legs, etc...then I used my hand with water in it to rub on his face and head because you can easily drown them and shouldn't use running water right on his eyes and nose, just on bottom of chin and sides of neck and very carefully on edges of cheeks.
Then poured diluted warm shampoo water on him and massaged in while telling him what a good kitty he was and scratching under his chin. He tried to get out a couple of times but I just stayed calm and talked to him and held back of neck until he calmed. Then just kept left hand on his back and he stayed in tub good. Rinsed him. Dried him good with a towel and held him in towel and talked to him. Then put him in gated kitchen with a scoop of wet food for a treat.
Then after letting him stay in there alone a few minutes I got the dryer ready and a towel on floor and sat with him on floor and introduced him to the dryer. It's just a hair dryer with a low, high and cold hot or neutral setting. I used low neutral because that can get warm but not very hot. You do have to be very careful to move the hair dryer around the body and not stay in one spot too long. Also, a good technique is to wave the nozzle back and forth and aim the nozzle up off him every few seconds.
I had a hold of his neck and kept it a foot away from him when I turned it on. He tried to bolt for a minute but talked to him and put it on the low part of his back and gently moved it up and after he was comfortable went to his tummy pulling him up by back of neck gently to my lap. and as he calmed instead holding up his left leg while cradled against me. Got him mostly dry but not totally. He got a piece of cheese for a treat and kept him out of the litter box for an hour so he wouldn't drag wet litter all over..
I am just so proud of him. He did so well. To think he was a stray! He's just wonderful. Wanted to tell you all about his first bath. Hope this isn't too long.