Baaaad Kitten! LOL

tanq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so some of you may remember my plea for help when I accepted a new kitten (finally named her Bella) several weeks ago. 

Lately, I have noticed Bella attacks Tanqueray and for the most part, Tanq will swipe back at her to let her know she is displeased, but the kitten doesn't take no for an answer!  Onward she stalks and attacks! Relentless.  I am concerned -- and this bothers me.  Does anyone know why the kitten would begin doing this?

She has a determined personality, follows me around like a shadow (just like Tanq)  I know for the most part she is playful --- but attacking Tang -- is this a part of being playful??  Her ears go back, she sits upright, poised for attack -- and fearless Bella -- she strikes!

Is there a way to effectively discourage this behavior?  It upsets me and I would appreciate suggestions!

Thank you!

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My main question is if Tanq seems okay or not.  Does this just upset you or does it also upset him? Is he dealing with it effectively (for example, when he swipes her, does she stop even if just temporarily?) As long as Tanq is okay I would not worry about it too much-  they may just be sorting out the pecking order. 

If he does not seem okay, the only advice I have is to re-separate them and begin introductions all over again.  I know that this would probably seem like a frustrating step back, but much better that than someone being seriously hurt.

Hopefully others will be able to chime in too :) 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tanq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!  Re-introduction after over 3 weeks??

They are both females.  Tanq handles the kitten pretty well -- and removes herself from kittens attacks -- but Bella just keeps going.  It doesn't last long though. 

She is very playful, where Tanq just likes to relax and enjoy her own space. Tanq is 1 and 1/2 years of age.  The kitten is three months.   It bothers me more than Tanq I think.  Tanq is pretty tolerating, will hiss and move away from unwanted kitten attacks -- sometimes, she will cuff the kitten a few times in effort to get kitten to stop and then Tanq finds some other place to relax..  

Bella doesn't take the hint too well about anything! When I am eating something, she will continuously jump up to get to my plate of food -- regardless of how many times I put her down and say no.  Very determined!  Eventually though, she will stop when I do not give in ;)  

Maybe I need to buy a few more toys for her to entertain herself with?  I do not know....

Thanks again!

tanq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe sorting out the pecking order -- but with two females ---- will either really prevail!

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bella doesn't take the hint too well about anything! When I am eating something, she will continuously jump up to get to my plate of food -- regardless of how many times I put her down and say no.  Very determined!  Eventually though, she will stop when I do not give in ;)  

Maybe I need to buy a few more toys for her to entertain herself with?  I do not know....

Thanks again!
Yeah, kittens are oblivious to hints.  They have almost no brains whatsoever, and I say this as someone who loves them dearly.  I had fosters for most of this year (the same two, but kept them much longer than I usually keep fosters so that they were over 6 months when adopted) and they would try to get any food I was eating every time  even though they had never succeeded. 

In regards to introductions, it is never too late to start over- some members have had to start over completely after over a year, or when their cats (who had been together for years) suddenly stopped getting along.

However, based on what you've described, Tanq seems to have the situation under control. It seems like Bella is 'getting it' just not as quickly as you (or probably Tanq) would like, and she is just being a typical goofball kitten and doesn't really mean Tanq harm. As long as Tanq is tolerating it okay and getting some peace, I don't think it's cause for concern.

Last edited:

tanq

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! :)