Azt Treatment For Felv

Vbegay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was tested positive for FeLV, she was tested at 6 months when she stop eating and drinking water for 2 days. Since then we have begin in and out of hospital lately. My vet suggested the drug AZT. I know it was administer to people with HIV, and I remember how toxic the drug was to humans. The prescribed amount is 60ml twice daily oral , I have not yet start the treatment because I don't have the heart to fight with her and also don't know what to expect with the drug. I spend most of my time at school and don't want to leave her home alone after given her the drug. I have not found any personal story of people who have tired the drug.

I found Charlotte when she was only 2 weeks old, it was love at first sight and it break my heart to know I have so little time with her now. Recently her belly has felt different, she don't like me putting pressure on it, she still let's me pet her but once I poke her belly she gets mad. The vet doesn't know why, she has done some test and come up with nothing. But I know there something because everyday when I come home She a little different. Just a little info about my story, this is the first cat I had that was FeLV and is the toughest. Just not sure what to do. I'm hoping I could get some support and feedback on this site.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry about Charlotte's diagnosis :hugs:. From what I've read, AZT is most commonly used when there are neurological symptoms appearing with the FeLV. Is she showing these symptoms? Also, it should NOT be used if there are any liver or gastrointestinal issues, which it's possible she has if her belly is feeling different, so since you haven't started it yet, perhaps you should have another Vet visit before starting just to make sure things haven't changed, like either of the above. But, I just reread your post and you said the Vet already rechecked her and can't find anything. Did they run another blood test to check all her figures to make sure they were in "order"? (probably, but just double checking)

Personally, I'm not aware of anyone here on TCS using AZT to combat FeLV, but since you posted I did start reading about it elsewhere and see that it IS being used with some success. That's great news. I think as long as you monitor her bloodwork you should be ok to use it. At this point, since she seems pretty sick, what's the harm. It might really help her. And even if it made PEOPLE sick, cats react so differently to drugs than humans. I wasn't able to find anything indicating it would make cats vomit, have diarrhea, things like that. The only thing I found was that it can cause harm to their liver, kidneys, etc, and that's why it's important to monitor their blood to see what's happening INSIDE! But even then, if you can give her a few extra good years with this drug, why not? Does that make sense?

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vbegay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying mrsgreenjeens. No she not showing any neurological symptoms. She still playful, she still eats and drinks water but her litter habit have change. She going less then she use too. I have been try to find something about her belly. The vet said she thought she felt fluid in her belly but when she got xray there was nothing again. But I found that cats can get ascites and is hard to detect. I believe that what going on with Charlotte because her belly is only getting bigger. And it seem like all the vets I go to just slowly give up on me and Charlotte. Charlotte is every difficult when it comes to vet visits, she usually has a whole team hold her down just to get her temperature. I know she does have much time with her condition, but I want to try my best but I also think I'm doing it for my own selfish needs. I'm so confused on what to do. I started her today on AZT, which Charlotte and I called Hope. :) Hoping it will help with her and her belly. All I can do it pray now. I really appreciate your response. Thank you so much. It has helped emotional. I really don't have any support from anyone.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I LOVE that you are calling the AZT "hope"!!! That's precious! I will tell you that approximately 25 years ago I was told I had at best two years to live. Well, guess what? I'm still here. So you know what? There IS hope!

Now that you have found us (TheCatSite), you HAVE support :alright:. We can help you when things look dark, walk you through it when you feel you may "be doing it for your own selfish needs" etc. Believe me, most of us have been there :frown:. I, myself, have had three chronically ill cats, so I can definitely empathize. And one of mine was my soul cat :bawling:. But hopefully you will not have to think about anything so heartwrenching for quite some time :crossfingers:.

Keep us posted on how Little Charlotte does. I'm very anxious to hear how this medication works for her, as I'm sure others will be too!

Continued vibes for her improvement :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Vbegay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I LOVE that you are calling the AZT "hope"!!! That's precious! I will tell you that approximately 25 years ago I was told I had at best two years to live. Well, guess what? I'm still here. So you know what? There IS hope!

Now that you have found us (TheCatSite), you HAVE support :alright:. We can help you when things look dark, walk you through it when you feel you may "be doing it for your own selfish needs" etc. Believe me, most of us have been there :frown:. I, myself, have had three chronically ill cats, so I can definitely empathize. And one of mine was my soul cat :bawling:. But hopefully you will not have to think about anything so heartwrenching for quite some time :crossfingers:.

Keep us posted on how Little Charlotte does. I'm very anxious to hear how this medication works for her, as I'm sure others will be too!

Continued vibes for her improvement :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Oh wow, your on the drug AZT? I know that a personally question. I thought they had stop given out the drug because it had no effect. I reader an article back in 2000 I know I was awhile back. But that was the last I heard of it until now with Charlotte.
Will Charlotte changing everyday, I hate seen her like this. I know she in pain. Her belly kept getting bigger. Her eating habits are changing too. I don't know if it's side effect of the drug or her belly. I went to see the vet and ask for a ultrasound. I want to know why her belly kepts growing. They told me she had large intestine and a lot of gas. I remember you say something about gastrointestinal issues. I should be positive about all this, I keep just try to find something wrong with her belly. I keep digging. I just want to know why? That's has always been my problem. I can't let go when I don't know what causing the problem. I want to fight this, but I don't want her to suffer. I know she a fighter but sometime a fighter can't fight anymore. I just pray now. Asking for a miracle, I'm slowly losing focus on school too. I do more research on Charlotte condition then doing my homework. I stop eating myself, I stop exercise because I want to spend all the time I can with her. But now she barely even comes near me to pet her. But I'm also ready for the worst, will not ready but just knowing out could be near. The thing is me missing her when I come home, she always greeted me at the door soon that will be gone. Her waking me up to get feed get at 6 in the morning. My family ain't every supportive, they think she just a cat. But my family never really was supportive very. So I'm pretty much alone, and animal's have always been my friends. Haven't really had a pet, then we're always taken from me. With Charlotte I found her when she was very small. I would have to wake up every 4 hours to bottle feed her, would have to help her clean herself. She is my baby. I just hope I'm doing the right thing but her. Thanks so much for responding. You don't understand how much it means to me and how it makes me feel. Cuz I feel so alone right now. Thank you for your kindness. Thank you!

mustardandbologna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck to you and Charlotte from me and my FeLV+ kitties! Sending you all of our love and well wishes.

I am actually considering asking my veterinarian about starting Richard on zidovudine (AZT) therapy at his appointment on Tuesday. I've read a handful of papers and it does appear that a few cats have seen a beneficial effect from it. At this point, I'm willing to give it a shot because Richard is really not doing well. I hope that it will help your girl and that you have many happy years together! Please keep this thread updated with her progress; I am really interested.

Shar371

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Vbegay and Charlote, Mustardandbologna and Richard, we're pulling for you. :vibes:

Vbegay, I know how it feels to be so distracted by your sick kitty, and feeling like there's got to be some way you can find the answer, to the point of distraction. I set a bad example for my Midnight by not eating or sleeping well while I spent her last two weeks searching for some kind of miracle, or answer, or cure. I was trying to make up the time I spent during the work day at the vet, or hiding away crying elsewhere, and when I came home, she stayed curled where she was. I thought it meant she was mad at me, that she didn't want me around (and most especially, that she didn't want me to see her like this... you phrased it as "when a fighter can't fight anymore"), but decided that I would impose myself on her anyhow... I went and sat with her. Maybe you could try studying next to her, talking aloud to her? You have hope, with the AZT, and a vet willing to give it a try, to follow up, and keep talking you through your options, and you will always have support here with us. Be sure to take care of yourself, too, so that you can be at your best to handle every eventuality. I still regret being so addled from sleeplessness that I wasn't asking every question I'd written down to talk to the vets about.

Did the vet tell you anything that might help relieve the gas and make her more comfortable? Maybe whether the gas was a side-effect or what you could look for to see if the AZT was working?

SheriB

FELV and Foster advocate
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I wonder if SheriB SheriB has ever used this with her FeLV foster cats?
Thanks for mentioning me with regards to this. I have not heard about AZT for the kitties, maybe because the shelter cannot afford much in the way of medical care. As usual they have limited funds and so many cats to care for.
Vbegay Vbegay hang in there, you are not alone. In difficult times like this it is natural to have misgivings, but from reading this it’s easy to see that you are doing your best, trying to help your dear little one in any way you can.

Last edited:

Vbegay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good luck to you and Charlotte from me and my FeLV+ kitties! Sending you all of our love and well wishes.

I am actually considering asking my veterinarian about starting Richard on zidovudine (AZT) therapy at his appointment on Tuesday. I've read a handful of papers and it does appear that a few cats have seen a beneficial effect from it. At this point, I'm willing to give it a shot because Richard is really not doing well. I hope that it will help your girl and that you have many happy years together! Please keep this thread updated with her progress; I am really interested.
Thank you M mustardandbologna . Today she looked better. She a my lil fighter. But still not change with the belly. She stil eats, drinks water and play a bit. I really thought she would show side effect with the drug. But she hasn't throw up or have kind diarrhea, but this is just our second day on AZT. The drug is given oral so of course I have to fight with her. I schedule an appointment for a ultrasound Monday just to get some answer about her belly. But thank for your response. I wish you all the best with Richard, you should talk to your vet about it. It could be your "hope" too.

Vbegay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Vbegay and Charlote, Mustardandbologna and Richard, we're pulling for you. :vibes:

Vbegay, I know how it feels to be so distracted by your sick kitty, and feeling like there's got to be some way you can find the answer, to the point of distraction. I set a bad example for my Midnight by not eating or sleeping well while I spent her last two weeks searching for some kind of miracle, or answer, or cure. I was trying to make up the time I spent during the work day at the vet, or hiding away crying elsewhere, and when I came home, she stayed curled where she was. I thought it meant she was mad at me, that she didn't want me around (and most especially, that she didn't want me to see her like this... you phrased it as "when a fighter can't fight anymore"), but decided that I would impose myself on her anyhow... I went and sat with her. Maybe you could try studying next to her, talking aloud to her? You have hope, with the AZT, and a vet willing to give it a try, to follow up, and keep talking you through your options, and you will always have support here with us. Be sure to take care of yourself, too, so that you can be at your best to handle every eventuality. I still regret being so addled from sleeplessness that I wasn't asking every question I'd written down to talk to the vets about.

Did the vet tell you anything that might help relieve the gas and make her more comfortable? Maybe whether the gas was a side-effect or what you could look for to see if the AZT was working?
Shar371 Shar371 Thank you for the support. Will I'm saddened me to hear your story. I knew I wasn't the only one going through this. Did you lose Midnight to FeLV? I knew nothing about the disease, I should have got her tested right away but I thought it wasn't a big deal. Now I blame myself for that. Will she still love walking all over my keyboard, chewing on my homework. She actually sleeping by me awhile I study. She still come around me, she just don't want me touching her and I talk to her all the time, and I do a imitation as if she were talking responding back to me. Weird I know. But her body language kind match what I say and it cracks me up and I can see her eyes light up. She don't like me crying, she sit as closet to me as she can but once I reach for her she gone. Lol she is my emontional support animal, but i think that change now. Blah blah i could about her all day. But her belly problem started 2 week before, so it can't be the drug. I tried cat laxative, pumpkin and even Miralax but no change. I had to change her whole diet too. I didn't know Carbohydrates are bad for cats, now she on natural balance wet food and m/d dry and I'll tell you it ain't cheap. But anything for my baby. I appreciate your response. No words can explain how much it helps. Thank you so much for your kind word. God bless. Thank you again

Vbegay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for mentioning me with regards to this. I have not heard about AZT for the kitties, maybe because the shelter cannot afford much in the way of medical care. As usual they have limited funds and so many cats to care for.
Vbegay Vbegay hang in there, you are not alone. In difficult times like this it is natural to have misgivings, but from reading this it’s easy to see that you are doing your best, trying to help your dear little one in any way you can.
SheriB SheriB Thank for your kind words. This site is helping a lot! We're gonna fight until the end. I'm crossing my fingers and toes everyday and praying everyday. Just hope the man above heard me and doesn't take my baby from me.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Shar371 Shar371 But her belly problem started 2 week before, so it can't be the drug. I tried cat laxative, pumpkin and even Miralax but no change. I had to change her whole diet too. I didn't know Carbohydrates are bad for cats, now she on natural balance wet food and m/d dry and I'll tell you it ain't cheap.
Aha! This change in foods could be some of her tummy issues. You said her litterbox output has changed too. could she be constipated? One of my chronically ill cats had to have Miralax in order to avoid chronic constipation, and the way it works, it takes time. A few days, normally, to really take effect, then as long as you give it to them regularly, it works great. But it's not something that you just give them once and it works like a laxative. No, I had to give it my furkids twice a day, every single day in order for it to be effective. And, naturally, if Charlotte IS constipated, she wouldn't want to be held, etc. Also, I would think her appetite would be less...is it?

Additionally, have you tried giving her some probiotics to help with her gut flora? If she has gas, that might help. AND, as far as helping her immune system, have you heard of Bone Broth? It supposedly has good healing qualities. I started using it on my furkids, and actually saw a remarkable difference in one of them...one whom I suspected might be starting to have some tummy issues. Check out post #5 from this thread: Is Pedialyte Really That Bad For Cats? (discussion contains bone broth too)

As far as giving her her new pill, how big is it? Have you tried giving it to her in a treat? I used to use Whiska Lickins SOFT treats and smoosh them flat, then wrap them around small pills to give to one of my guys. then I would give him some of the treats, then toss him the "loaded" treat, then a couple more of the regular ones. Usually worked to get the pill in because he wasn't quite sure which one had the pill in it :wink:

Vbegay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Aha! This change in foods could be some of her tummy issues. You said her litterbox output has changed too. could she be constipated? One of my chronically ill cats had to have Miralax in order to avoid chronic constipation, and the way it works, it takes time. A few days, normally, to really take effect, then as long as you give it to them regularly, it works great. But it's not something that you just give them once and it works like a laxative. No, I had to give it my furkids twice a day, every single day in order for it to be effective. And, naturally, if Charlotte IS constipated, she wouldn't want to be held, etc. Also, I would think her appetite would be less...is it?

Additionally, have you tried giving her some probiotics to help with her gut flora? If she has gas, that might help. AND, as far as helping her immune system, have you heard of Bone Broth? It supposedly has good healing qualities. I started using it on my furkids, and actually saw a remarkable difference in one of them...one whom I suspected might be starting to have some tummy issues. Check out post #5 from this thread: Is Pedialyte Really That Bad For Cats? (discussion contains bone broth too)

As far as giving her her new pill, how big is it? Have you tried giving it to her in a treat? I used to use Whiska Lickins SOFT treats and smoosh them flat, then wrap them around small pills to give to one of my guys. then I would give him some of the treats, then toss him the "loaded" treat, then a couple more of the regular ones. Usually worked to get the pill in because he wasn't quite sure which one had the pill in it :wink:
mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens . I'm not sure. When she does poo it's soft, not like diarrhea but it's normal looking. The vet said she had large intestine wall, and it could be cause by get condition. Haven't heard of bone broth but I'll look into it, I'm a terrible cook so I hope I don't have to cook anything for her. Will the vet was the one that suggest I change her diet, and her belly situation happen before I change her diet and before I started her on AZT. That's was the reason why i took her to the vet in the first place was because of her belly, that's how this whole thing started. And the AZT is a liquid form. I'm afraid to give any another medician will she on AZT, I don't know if she'll have a reaction to it.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, I didn't realize the big belly started BEFORE the change in diet. Was worth a shot. AND, I had no idea AZT came in liquid form. Did you get it compounded into tuna or chicken flavor? You can do that you know, at least you can with MOST liquid medications. Then it's much easier to dose.

Also, probiotics shouldn't pose any problems, but you could always ask your Vet. Bone broth can be purchased or made at home. It's really easy, as you may have seen in that thread. If you purchase it, just make sure it doesn't have any onions or garlic in it. It's different from chicken or beef stock, which WOULD normally be seasoned with those things.

Vbegay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How's Charlotte doing?
She doing fine. I thought she would have bad side effects from the drug AZT. She actually ok. We got xrays and ultrasound of her belly and there was no fluids. So I'm so grateful for that. We believe she just gets gassy from eating. I appreciate you asking about her.

Vbegay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She doing fine. I thought she would have a reaction to the AZT, but she actually don't great. Besides fighting with her every 12 hours. We got xrays and an ultrasound to confirm there was no fluid building up, the result would good. So I'm thankful for that. She has a lot of poo and gas in her but that was about it. Thanks for asking about her. I appreciate it

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a quick question for you.......could you check on the dosage you're giving?

I meant to ask this earlier on, but got waylaid......

It can not be 60 ml - well, I just can not imagine that - 60ml is 1/4 cup ! Perhaps .6 (decimal/point 6....or even 6ml, though still extraordinary) - ??

And, you were looking for other experiences......not having heard of AZT expressly before, I 'asked' Google and noticed that people are using it for FIV.....that, plus other treatment news (for FIV+) can be found here: http://www.fivtherapy.com/fiv_news.htm?i=1

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so glad Charlotte is doing fine on this medication. Hopefully her gas issues will improve, although don't think the AZT will help with that. Guess you never know though. But I think it mainly improves their immune system. I supposed it all works together though :dunno:.

Please keep us posted. This thread could prove immensely helpful for others who have cats with FeLv.

Wishing you and Charlotte the best.